cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DHCPv6-PD on BTNET Cisco

cannfoddr

Just had a new BTNET FTTP circuit installed with a Cisco NTE.  I have a static /28 IPV4 subnet and a /56 IPV6 allocation.

I have hooked up a router and have IPv4 all working using a static address (DHCPv4 is turned off) but when I request an IPv6 address nothing is getting allocated. 

I have statically configured my WAN IPV6 and everything is working and I can ping from my router to the Cisco and Beyond.

I want to be able to use DHCPv6-PD to request a /60 prefix from the cisco and hand this out to vlans on my router.

Looking at the consumer forums I can see this exact configuration is available on BT consumer links - is it an option on my managed BTNET link?

1 REPLY 1

angela683h

@cannfoddrdollartreecompass wrote:

Just had a new BTNET FTTP circuit installed with a Cisco NTE.  I have a static /28 IPV4 subnet and a /56 IPV6 allocation.

I have hooked up a router and have IPv4 all working using a static address (DHCPv4 is turned off) but when I request an IPv6 address nothing is getting allocated. 

I have statically configured my WAN IPV6 and everything is working and I can ping from my router to the Cisco and Beyond.

I want to be able to use DHCPv6-PD to request a /60 prefix from the cisco and hand this out to vlans on my router.

Looking at the consumer forums I can see this exact configuration is available on BT consumer links - is it an option on my managed BTNET link?

Hello,

I can see your post, I give you my best to you. Please see the below info and follow step by step.

Configuring DHCPv6-PD to request a /60 prefix for your managed BTNET link with a Cisco NTE should be possible, as this is a standard feature available on Cisco devices and is also supported on BT consumer links. 

The process involves setting up your router to request a prefix delegation from the Cisco NTE, which then provides the /60 prefix that you can distribute across your VLANs.

Here’s a general outline of the steps you might need to take:

1. Enable IPv6 on your router: Ensure that IPv6 is enabled and properly configured on your WAN interface.
2. Configure DHCPv6-PD: Set up DHCPv6-PD on your router to request a /60 prefix. This is typically done in the router’s DHCPv6 client configuration section.
3. Assign Prefixes to VLANs: Once you receive the /60 prefix, you can assign /64 sub-prefixes to each VLAN on your network.

For specific instructions, you would need to refer to the documentation for your particular router model.

Keep in mind that the exact commands and configuration steps can vary depending on the router model and firmware version, so consult the relevant documentation.

If you need further assistance with the configuration, Please tell me I am happy to help you.

Best Regard,
angela683h