cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi extender for Business Smart Hub 3

rob-SMR
Power User

Having moved from Hub 2 to Hub 3 the BT extender disc (black one) I have no longer works (although I was advised it would!)   The wifi signal from the new hub is probably slightly worse than the signal direct from the old hub.

Does any have a recommendation for an extender available for outright purchase please?  

It seems that BT will only supply on a rental basis which I'm not prepared to do.    IF BT will sell one I might be tempted . . . .

13 REPLIES 13

kelper
Guru

Almost any range extender will do.  Just get one that's fast enough to match the actual speed you are getting.  Alternatively, get a pair of Powerline adapters.  One connects to the router and the second can be placed anywhere in the building; iy has an ethernet port and wifi and the internet is transmitted through the building's wiring.  TP_Link make good gear and it is also good value.

rob-SMR
Power User

Thanks - I've seen this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CSD8GL7W/?coliid=I26HYRXPSTMH8P&colid=ORYXZ3U6EPBY&psc=1&ref_=list_c_w...  - seems to be fast enough for my 150BT service!  I'm guessing it'll work?

I have tried the Powerline idea but it didn't work because of some quirks in the wiring circuits in the building - the concept is great, just not the execution!

What is your promised download speed in Mbps?

150 product, expect 145, 100 guaranteed   [48 hours from installation speed tests are sloooooow - not reached 100]

I prefer to use a known brand name such as Linksys, Netgear, TP-Link or Asus.  If your hub is wifi 6 then get a wifi 6 range extender!

In case you upgrade your speed later, it might be an idea to get a faster model.  On Amazon, look at the four-star reviews and see if others have had problems with setup.  At least with Amazon, it's easy to return goods for any reason.

Are you in a built-up area where high-speed fiber is available now or in the future?  If cash is tight I would even look on eBay having bought loads of goos tech stuff that way.

rob-SMR
Power User

Thanks again - I'm unlikely to upgrade the speed - reviews seem to be OK for simple use (like mine) but not for complex configurations of devices.
I'll place an order - and if it doesn't do the job then Amazon can have it back!

Did you know you can even get postie to collect returns from your house?  I find this very convenient.