cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac email won't send

GrandpaChris

Suddenly I can't send emails using Mac Mail - they just sit in the Outbox. I checked my accounts and settings are identical to my iPhone (and worked fine yesterday). I followed the thread on this forum, putting in the IP addresses, renaming my Mac, deleting it from my network and rebooting, etc., all except Option 3 which involves a terminal window as I have no iea how to create one. My apologies but it won't let me reply to that thread.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GrandpaChris

Hi Mark

My apologies. I just searched for Mac mail not working and didn't spot it saying Business.

Chris

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Burkem5
Guru

Hi there @GrandpaChris 

If this has started out of the blue then more than likely you have just updated the software,  i know we were seeing some issues where "Mavericks" updates have disabled some of the settings on Mac Mail.

Can you do me a favour and make sure that you are using the following settings

Incoming server

Server – outlook.office365.com

port – 995

connection type – ssl

ensure that this is authorised with the full email address and password including the domain i.e.@btconnect.com

Outgoing

Server - smtp.office365.com

port – 587

connection type – tls

make sure the outgoing server requires authentication and authenticate with the same details as the incoming server

Once we know that these are all ok then we can move to the more complex fixes.

Let me know how you get on with these.

Burkem5

GrandpaChris

Hi

I updated to Mavericks a while ago and have not noticed any updates over the last few days. It won't let me change the incoming server (mail.btinternet.com) which is greyed out but I've made the other changes.

When I try to set up TLS, it offers one TLS certificate to use - com.apple.idms.appleid... so I picked that. I changed the outgoing server from mail.btinternet.com to smtp.office365.com. It just adds "(offline)" after the server name and does not make any difference.

By the way, the settings you gave me are very different from the ones I used to use which still work on my iPhone.

Chris

markp
Grand Guru

Hi GrandpaChris,

if you were using the servers mail.btinternet.com and smtp.btinternet.com, there are our home broadband email servers for @btinternet.com email address, the office365.com server names are for business @btconnect.com and domain name emails.

If you are having an issue with @btinternet.com you can contact our home broadband team on 0800 111 4567, www.bt.com/chat or buy going to their forum at https://community.bt.com/

Markp

GrandpaChris

Hi Mark

My apologies. I just searched for Mac mail not working and didn't spot it saying Business.

Chris