cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP Sending Problem

z1ts

Hello

I was wondering if someone might be able to help me with the following problem.  When I try to send from my @btconnect.com using Outlook 2007 a box pops up asking me to enter my username and password for my BT account.  I do as it asks but the box appears straight after asking for the same thing.

I have double, triple, quadruple checked the account settings and everything is exactly as it is supposed to be (bearing in mind this account has been working perfectly for the past 2 years) but stilll nothing is working.

I know the password is correct as I've used it to log into Office365 webmail, I've tried it without authentication, I've tried port 25 instead of 587, I've deleted the account from Outlook and then set it back up in Outlook.....................

WHAT now??!!

The settings I've used are:-

Incoming Settings:

• pop.outlook.com
  • port 995
  • SSL applied/ticked

Outgoing Server Settings:

• smtp.outlook.com
  • port 587
  • SMTP authentication applied/ticked
  • TLS applied/ticked
  • Authentication - password
7 REPLIES 7

markp
Grand Guru

Hi All,

We currently have problems with our Outgoing servers, which is affecting outbound e-mail, this may also be causing an issue with the password box, please do not change this, we have engineers working on the issue, to try and get service restored as soon as possible. You can still use webmail to send out till resolved, at www.myoffice.bt.com and choose email and login. We do apologise for the inconvenience. You can get regular updates via our service status telephone number of 0800 169 0199.

Regards

Markp

BT Business Forum Moderator

nsilco

Hello,  Has anyone experienced a problem after c/o from Mavericks to Yosemite?  I can send okay, but a dialog box appears everytime I click to Send button.  I have checked and rechecked my Preferences.

Btw, no problems with my older Macbook Pro whatsoever, or with Mac Mail.

TIA, nsilco

markp
Grand Guru

Hi nsilco,

we have notived that when Mac's have had the Yosemite update that it is automatically changing the incoming mail server in Mac mail to pop3.btconnect.com for some reason.

If you check in your email settings has it been changed in Mac mail if so, all you would need to do is change it back to outlook.office365.com

Mark

nsilco

Many, many thanks, markp, for your exceptionally speedy response.  However, following further searches, online, I have discovered from the Apple Support Community that this problem is widespread and, therefore, a Bug in Yosemite which, no doubt, Apple will fix by the next update.  Thankfully, I am receiving incoming mail with both BT and which.net -- so I shall confine the sending of messages to my fully-functioning Mac Mail application.

Thanks, again, to you and BT,  nsilco

nsilco

Hello, again, Mark,

Hopefully, you will recall my inital query and my following response to your rapid reply 3-weeks ago:

Many, many thanks, markp, for your exceptionally speedy response.  However, following further searches, online, I have discovered from the Apple Support Community that this problem is widespread and, therefore, a Bug in Yosemite which, no doubt, Apple will fix by the next update.  Thankfully, I am receiving incoming mail with both BT and which.net -- so I shall confine the sending of messages to my fully-functioning Mac Mail application.

Thanks, again, to you and BT,  nsilco

Well, Yosemite has since been updated but, regrettably, I still can't send mail from either my norman.silcock@btinternet.com or norman.silcock@which.net accounts (but can send webmail).  Please could you advise me which smtp server address is correct: mail.btinternet.com or mail.btinternet.com:norman.silcock@btinternet.com and which port number should I be using?

TIA and thanks again, Norman

markp
Grand Guru

www.bt.com/chatHi nsilco,

I am sorry, I am not able to advise what the servers are for @btinternet.com as these are home/residential email accounts, and we are the business forum.

If you contact the residential team on 0800 111 4567, www.bt.com/chat or by going to their forum https://community.bt.com/

Mark

nsilco

Many thank Mark -- I shall follow your advice...

nsilco