cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending emails via 3G

pacmac06

Hi,

I'm setting up email on a Motoroal razr i (Android). Incoming mail works fine, and sending mail via WiFi also works fine using the old mail.btconnect.com server. What I can't do is send mail when connected via 3G. The phone is on Orange. Anyone got any ideas please?

3 REPLIES 3

adrianc
Master User

There's two possible issues here:

1. From what I've been told, if the IP address that you are sending from is from another provider you need to enable authentication on the SMTP server - there should be an option for it in the phone's email client.
  2. Some mobile providers do what's called 'super NAT' where all the phones in a given area are given private IP addresses (e.g. 10.3.2.1) and share a single IP on the mobile company's network. This can cause a problem if someone is 'naughty' - a whole lot of customers can get blocked because they all appear to be using the same IP address.

If setting the authenticaion doesn't work, then it's likely problem number 2 which you can't do much about.

Adrian

pacmac06

Thanks. I should have said connecting via 3G or a non BT line. I think I might be stuck on this one, but I'll try speaking to Orange.

Stephenc
Master User

Hi pacman06,

Adrian is correct, using smtp authentication on a 3G connection will likely get this working.  It will also allow you to send on most non-BT lines, however last I heard orange do not allow 3rd party mail servers to use port 25 on their lines.  They may let you use their own server for your mail.

Or you can use webmail.

Thanks,

Steve