cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect Poly VVX 150 to Smart Hub 2

jamescook

Hi Everyone, I'm brand new member joined today. here's my difficulty:- BT have installed fibre broadband to some premises I'm involved with and they have provide a Poly VVX 150 cloud phone for phone service. The phone came supplied with a cable with an RJ-45 plug at each end. 

The engineer showed me the socket on the back of the router to connect the phone to, however, this socket takes a standard BT plug (431A or 631A). So it appears to me that I need a cable with an RJ-45 plug one end and a BT plug (431A or 631A) on the other end.

Can anyone advise me how to connect this phone to the router so I can set up the cloud phone service? What cable will I need to do this, and where can I purchase one? I can't get any sense out of BT or indeed Poly-I just keep getting transferred to someone else until they give up!  

Thanks in advance for your valuable help,

James.

11 REPLIES 11

kelper
Guru

I can't help but have you tried this number?

"For general support with making sure your Cloud Phone service is working correctly, reach out to the technical team on telephone number 0845 834 0856, option 1, and they'll be able to assist you."

I did some Googling and it appears you can connect the phone directly to the wall socket and the phone acts as a switch - you can connect a PC to the phone.  Maybe the BT hub is superfluous?

community.polycom.com/t5/VoIP-SIP-Phones/Connecting-to-Computer/td-p/72487

jamescook

Hi kelper,

Thank you so much for your reply, will be contacting the technical team tomorrow (Monday 2nd May) to see if I can make some progress, so grateful! Will post update after that.

James.

BethM
Administrator
Administrator

Hi jamescook

How did contacting the Technical team go? 

^BethM

jamescook

Hi Beth,

I made contact with the technical team on Monday 2nd May and spoke to a very helpful gentleman. He offered some suggestions which I have tried today but without success.  I plugged the phone into one of the ethernet ports on the back of the router, plugged in the power supply and the phone tried to configure itself. Then the router stopped working and tried to reboot itself. Unplugging the phone from the router caused it to reboot properly and restore the b/band connection. After that I went into the router settings and tried to reconfigure the WAN port to an ordinary ethernet port-that didn't work either. I'm sure the connection to the premises is FTTC so reconfiguring the WAN port should work,  in the premises, all there is a standard BT master socket and a cable from the b/band socket to the grey b/band port on the router.  I was told by the engineer that installed the router and master socket that the phone should plug in to the green phone port on the back of the router, but as I have said before I can't do that because the cable supplied with the phone is a standard ethernet cable with RJ-45 plugs on each end, it doesn't have a BT 431A or 631A plug on one end to go into the phone port. Any further ideas?

James.

kelper
Guru

Which port are you using on the back of your phone when you use the supplied ethernet cable to connect to the router?  It should be the one with a symbol that looks like three people sitting round a table.

jamescook

Hi kelper, yes that the one I've been using,

James

BethM
Administrator
Administrator

Hi jamescook

It sounds like this needs to go back to the Technical Support team. Can you send me a Private Message with some account details please?

^BethM

jamescook

Hi Beth,

After much persistence I have made contact with the person who was involved in letting the original contract with BT and this person has promised to speak to BT and see if another phone can be sent to me (they seem to think the one I have might be faulty), so thank you for your offer of help, would you mind if I tried this avenue first and if I don't get any reasonable response can I come back to you? Thank you for your concern and help, it's much appreciated.

James.

BethM
Administrator
Administrator

Hi jamescook

Of course, I hope you get it resolved but please message me if you have any issues.

^BethM