cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect Poly VVX 150 to Smart Hub 2

jamescook

Hi Everyone, I'm brand new member joined today. here's my difficulty:- BT have installed fibre broadband to some premises I'm involved with and they have provide a Poly VVX 150 cloud phone for phone service. The phone came supplied with a cable with an RJ-45 plug at each end. 

The engineer showed me the socket on the back of the router to connect the phone to, however, this socket takes a standard BT plug (431A or 631A). So it appears to me that I need a cable with an RJ-45 plug one end and a BT plug (431A or 631A) on the other end.

Can anyone advise me how to connect this phone to the router so I can set up the cloud phone service? What cable will I need to do this, and where can I purchase one? I can't get any sense out of BT or indeed Poly-I just keep getting transferred to someone else until they give up!  

Thanks in advance for your valuable help,

James.

11 REPLIES 11

jamescook

Hi Beth and all other community members, first of all thank you so much for your help I've received concerning  connecting up our Polyphone.  I asked BT for a replacement ethernet cable and went and fitted it this afternoon and the phone booted up, configured itself and is now working fine, what a relief!  So I think a combination of incorrect connection information from the engineer, and a faulty cable combined to give me a headache-all better now though! Once again, many many thanks, it good to know you guys are out there.

James.

rachelgomez123
Power User

You must connect the phone to a wired LAN or Wi-Fi network to obtain phone services. In most cases, your network requires an internet connection. Your service provider has requirements for the required capacity of your connection to support voice services. In some cases, you can deploy the phone on a LAN or WAN with no internet access – for example, in a corporate environment within a voice-only VLAN.

Connect Using Wired Ethernet
Connect a Category-5 (or better) Ethernet cable from an available switch port to the RJ45 port labeled SW on the back of the phone. Note that the SW port also supports PoE. If you connect the phone to a standard PoE switch port, it can draw power from the switch without needing to connect to a 5 VDC power adapter.

Connect Using Wi-Fi
The phone can also connect to a phone service over a Wi-Fi network using a Polycom WiFi USB Adapter. The phone must join the wireless network by connecting to a Wi-Fi access point (AP). You can use the Wi-Fi setup utility within the Settings App to scan for access points that are nearby, identify the correct access point by its broadcast SSID (Wi-Fi network name), and connect to it. If security is enabled on the access point, enter the Wi-Fi access password when prompted to connect to the network.

Greeting,

Rachel Gomez