cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of VOIP services

MHC
Guru

In a call to the helpdesk I was informed that BT is to stop the standard VOIP - Business Broadband Voice service in a few months time.  

I have not had any email communications to confirm this even though there is a claim that users have been informed - we have not.

1.   When will the VOIP service finally be terminated?

2.  How much notice will be given?

3.  What are te low cost alternatives to the service.

4.   I have one line provided as part of my Business Broadband service - will te charges be reduced?

9 REPLIES 9

SeanC
Master User

HI MHC

that is correct the BBV and HV services will be coming to an end, please see below for answers to your questions.

1.   When will the VOIP service finally be terminated?

currently we have not been provided with an end date.

we have been advised it will be around 3 to 6 months.

3.  What are te low cost alternatives to the service.

only other voip alternative is the cloud voice/phones service but we do have other options as in remote call forwarding and if in the same exchange area if your geo number was originally ported to voip you can export it out.

4.   I have one line provided as part of my Business Broadband service - will te charges be reduced?

no reduction in charges will incur when the voip service has stopped, only the voip rental charge will be stopped as the product will no longer be in service.

I hope this help.

Regards

SeanC

MHC
Guru

we have been advised it will be around 3 to 6 months.

Is that 3 to 6 months from now?    Or do you mean that once they email and tell me, then it will be 3 to 6 months frm then?  

no reduction in charges will incur when the voip service has stopped, only the voip rental charge will be stopped as the product will no longer be in service.

Interesting.  My current BB charges cover te provision of an upto 80Mbps service,  a fixed IP and a single BBV line on which I pay call charges.      In addition, I have a second BBV service which I pay extra for.

Obviously the cost of the second will fall to zero, and I was hoping that the woudl be some reduction in my overall crhages for the loss of the first line.

SeanC
Master User

Hi MCH

The 3 to 6 months will be from when we have informed our customers of the end date, as of yet we have not been provided with the end date.

the voip service does not come as part of a package with your Broadband service so this will not affect the rental you have on your BB or PSTN service, when the voip is ceased you will no longer be charged for the voip rental.

some time ago we did give 1 free voip line per broadband service and this consisted of no rental charge for the voip service and the customer only paid for calls they have made, again this would not affect the charges on the BB and PSTN services.

i hope this helps.

Regards

SeanC

HowsThat
Power User

Hello Sean,

Since BT are stopping your VoIP service you may want to consider another provider.  I can recommend http://www.tptele.com. Give them a call on 033 33 58 33 33 to discuss your requirements so they can recommend the best solution for your business.

Simon

Paddy78

Hi, I've just been looking into upgrading our broadband. During the conversation with the sale person I said we have 2 voip numbers, one of which has a geographical number attached to it. I was told by the sales person that we could keep the fax number (voip without geographical number on it) but we couldn't keep the geographical number on the other line. Why is this?

HowsThat
Power User

I cannot think of any reason why you cannot keep your geographical number since these VoIP numbers have nothing to do with your broadband service.  If you want to private message me with the numbers you want to keep, your present broadband number and install address I will double check to see what is available. 

jameshall

As BT is getting closed and if you are looking for a new VoIP service provider, you should check the site GetVoIP(https://getvoip.com). They are not the VoIP service providers but they can help you to choose the write service provider for you. Their comparison charts are updated weekly for reliability, cost effectiveness, performance, customer service and variety of other aspects.

jamescont

Check out Traverse Telecom for the highest quality VoIP services. We have exclusive plans for different countries and we provide toll free number and did numbers as well.

ChrisKlow

Feeling bad for people who are using VoIP services. The people who want to sell their VoIP equipment, can contact to Telecom Recycle and get a fair amount of money in return.