cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2-Wire 2700HGV as bridge (not sure of terminology!)

ansel2010

I'm not sure whether 'Bridge' is the correct term for what I'm trying to do...

BBC iPlayer is now streaming directly to a TV via Humax Freesat HD boxes.   It requires either direct broadband connnection via its LAN port, or a homeplug set-up.

I have a 2700HGV wireless network and a spare 2700HGV.  Is it possible to set up the spare unit so that, without a physical broadband connection - or LAN connection to main hub  - attached (too far apart), it can wirelessly receive the broadband connection and stream it to the Humax box?

I have tested the system satisfactorily with a single  2700HGV,  but I cannot permanently leave it set up that way because the ethernet cable run would be unmanagable..

it's probably very clumsy terminology.  I apologise!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Vhailor

That's right, the 2700 won't do it.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

spank
Grand Guru

Hi there,

Sounds like you need a wireless access point.  I have a Belkin one at home I use for streaming.  You connect it via the LAN port on PC first and configure it through the web interface.  It has a site survey option which picks up my router, I add the WEP key, it connects.  I can then connect it via the LAN port to any other device in the house and it remains connected wirelessy to the router.

You could also look into powerline adapters.

Thanks

ansel2010

Thanks for your swift reply. 

Are you saying that I connect my spare 2700HGV to my PC for configurating only, or does it stay connected?  It's the staying connected that I want to avoid, as it's impractical.  I'm hoping that a 'wireless' access point means that it's wirelessly connected to my network and gives a LAN interface to the Humax box  - rather than it's connected to my network via a LAN but enables wireless connections via it - which, of course, is what my firtst 2700HGV does!

Vhailor

What spank says is absolutely correct, It would only work on a router that supports some sort of wireless repeating though. The 2700 wont do that.

It CAN be a bit hit and miss, especially if you havent done it before and arent very IT literate. You might get better success with some Powerline Adapters and the second bt hub, its not as flexible in my opinion and you end up paying the same but it should give you the same end result.

I'll see if i can post up a lil picture diagram of both setups so you can see what we are talking about, give me a few minutes 🙂

Vhailor

Sorry about the delay there, got sidetracked (Im in work).

This picture pretty much represents what it sounds like you need, you can replace the wireless connection with powerline adapters. The benefit to the powerline adapters is that they will work with whatever router you like whereas what spank said above may only work on routers designed to do the wireless repeating.

The key thing to remember is that both routers need a different IP address, if your broadband router is on 192.168.1.254 for example then you should be putting the second router on .253 or something similar. The other thing to keep an eye on is DHCP, make sure it is only enabled on one of the routers or else you might get conflicts.

(Of course the PC in the picture can be anything in terms of connectivity, slingbox, server or whatever.)

http://img408.imageshack.us/i/newbitmapimagetu.png/

ansel2010

Thanks, I'd appreciate that. 

I am only investigating this potential configuration because I have a spare 2700 router and iPlayer is now streamable via a Humax HD box.  I don't watch iPlayer often enough to want to spend a lot of money to make this work!  My wireless network covers my house for all my other compuring needs.

ansel2010

Thanks for the digram. That seems to be what I'm trying to achieve.

Are you saying that involves setting up the 2nd router as a repeater - and that the 2700 cannot be set to repeater mode?

Vhailor

That's right, the 2700 won't do it.

ansel2010

Shame.  Thanks for your clarification.