cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3rd party mail client won't connect to smtp.outlook.com

derekle

I need to use a 3rd party application to send multiple emails via the smtp server I've followed instructions from supplier of the mail client but it will not nog on to the smtp anybody got any ideas

1 REPLY 1

wbasker

Hello Derekle

The general settings for BT's mail platform, which is in partnership with Microsoft and Office 365 are:

POP3 settings:-

Server name: pop.outlook.com
Port: 995
Encryption method: SSL

SMTP settings:-

Server name: smtp.outlook.com
Port: 587
Encryption method: TLS (or SSL if client does not give option for TLS)

Additional Info:-
------------------------

Although not listed in set up the mail only appears to work correctly if you enable SMTP authentication and tell it to log on using same settings as incoming server

POP = Incoming
SMTP = Outgoing

Though it generally depends on what e-mail account(s) you are setting up. If you are trying to configure @btconnect.com mail boxes then the above settings should work OK - if however you are wanting to send through a 3rd party domain, which is not hosted by BT you need to add your domain on our mail relay system.

This will allow you to send through our systems using your domain and our outgoing mail server.

I hope this helps, failing that you can use the online chat tool from BT to speak to one of BT's Support Representatives

-------------------------
In order to begin solving issues, we need to strip the situation down to it's basic issue / problem and start from the start. Then we can start looking into the complexities of it.

I am here to help!