cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

550 Not Permitted - suddenly not able to send email from desktop

rockdrive22

Using desktop - no change to any settings. Microsoft Outlook 2003. Three email accounts. All with identical settings. Tested all three. Only my main and important email will not work. Issue since last week. "Task my mailbox name reported error (0X8800CCC78) 'Unable to send the message. Please verify the email address in your account properties. The server responded: 550 Not permitted"

Using pop.outlook.com and smtp.btconnect.com Incoming 995 SSL and Outgoing 25 No SSL

As stated 2 other email accounts using identical settings except the name work no problem.

Driving me bonkers.  I can send and receive not problem in Office 365 webmail. I can send and receive from my Blackberry Q10 (no comments please!). The only place I can send a message is from desktop Outlook and the message above is reported.

Any suggestions please?

6 REPLIES 6

markp
Grand Guru

Hi rockdrive22,

When setting up your Outlook using pop.outlook.com for incomming will work but we would advise to use outlook.office365.com, as for sending you need to use smtp.office365.com which uses port 587 with SSL/TLS on and you also need to have outgoing mail  requires authentication on.

As you are using Outlook 2003, as long as you have it updated to service pack 3 using these settings should work, but if they don't you will need to upgrade your Outlook to either 2007/10 or 2013 as 2003 is no longer supported.

The server mail.btconnect.com is on our old email systems and is getting closed down.

Mark

rockdrive22

Thanks for the input - and not to be rude I know all that. The fact of the matter is that from Outlook 2003 (which is unsupported) and in the same runnning program I have three other email addresses / accounts. These have with the exception of the user name / email address / password absolutely identical settings.  They are working absolutely fine. The only one ironically that is not is my main email address.

So back to the question - can anyone help with a simple fix?  Because with the other email addresses working perfectly fine, and all parameters identical what else could be stopping the server from allowing mail to send from the Outlook box?

rockdrive22

Because I want to demonstate the fix is nothing to do with the settings. I input in the account the outlook.office365.com (995) and smtp.office365.com (587 SSL/TLS on) in my main account.  I also for completeness put in to one of the other accounts in the program. Guess what. The test messages sent and received from my old settings with say email 3. The test messages sent and received from email 2 with the new settings.  Where it keeps falling over is with email 1 which does not work (sending) with the old settings pop.outlook.com 995 and smtp.btconnect.com 25 (SSL/TLS off) or the new.

The screen error messages are:

Task - name - receing reported error (0x800408FC) The server name entered can not be found on the network (it might be down temporarily). Please verifythat you are on line and that the server name is correct.

Task - name - Sending reported error (0x800CCC7D): Your outgoing (SMTP) server does not support SSL - secured connections. If SSL secured connections have worked in the pastcontact your server adminstrator or Internet service provider(ISP).

So back to my question - what is happending. I believe this to be a server related issue and specifically related to the email 1.  This has nothing to do with settings / configuration / type of email program.  Any bright ideas anyone?

Burkem5
Guru

Hi there @rockdrive22,

Outlook 2003 is a retired mail client which is why you are getting the SSL error message.

We do not support sending BT Hosted email through the relay server smtp.btconnect.com and if this does work then we would never guarantee that it would continue to work.

The best way to test this would be to see if this works through BT webmail if it does not work there then there is an issue with the email its self and you will need to contact us

If this does work then I would recommend trying a free mail client to see if this works.

You can currently get:

Mozilla Thunderbird

Windows Live Mail

For free from Mozilla and Microsoft.

If you try setting up on one of these does this work?

Hope this helps

Burkem5

rockdrive22

Thanks Burkem5 for the response.

I understand you keep saying its Outlook 2003 - but it works for everyone of my other accounts all with @btconnect.com addresses and exactly the same protocol set-up.  I would absolutely accept your response, if all my other accounts were affected identically. They are not. They work and continue to work.

The only email not working is my regular account address.  Exactly the same set-up, using the same program, and same protocol settings.  Everything with the exception of the email address and password are identical.  This email address gets rejected.  The others do not.  It cannot be the explanation you have provided as if you follow the logic tree and eliminate the variables then your answer does not carry weight.

I have another device - a laptop with Office 2010, and for the sake of completeness I shall set up an account using this alternative device, operating on Windows 7, Office 2010 and I shall see if this works and get back to you.

rockdrive22

Okay - I have added my profile to another device running Windows 7 and Office Outlook 2010. I have used all my variations as indicated. I can send and receive with the new profile but none of the old. My conclusion is that BT are implenting a phased switch off the old BTConnect server and the migration started last week. Meaning that my other email addresses will stop working pretty soon as well because office365 only supports SSL/TLS send and that once we hit the spot towards the end of the alphabet they too will have to be shifted!

Guess after such a long and happy relationship I am going to have to push over to Outlook 2010.

How can users find out about BT service updates and changes to server configurations. I could have either planned for the change or at best not wasted a few days chasing a solution that did not exist.