cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL regrade - significant speed drop?

dbrb2

Hello - can someone explain the BT regrade process to me? 

I plan to call BT tomorow - but our nominal 4Mbps down / 1Mbps up connection was running at close to its nominal values

Our contract was about to expire. BT estimates ~15Mbps down/1.5 up if we moved to ADSL2+, so we did - onto a new contract, and I had an email today telling me the service was ready. 

I reset the modem, but ever since then we have been running at a stable 1Mbps down, 0.5up - much slower than before the change. 

I was warned that the line might take 10 days to stabilize, but hadn't really expected such a massive drop when moved onto the new service. Does anybody have any experience of what is actually happening, and what I might be able to do about it? 

4 REPLIES 4

dbrb2

Well I spoke to BT - they weren't massivelt helpful to be honest. Their response was that I would have to wait  10 days, no way of knowing what speed I would get eventually, and that was that. 

But since all I have had done is a profile change - the modem has been on and working (until the upgrade - when it was reset once) for months - they must have some idea of line capabilities...

Previously when I have upgraded home ADSL to home ADSL2+, the change has been immediate, with slight speed dropoff as the line stabilizes - whereas in this case there has been the opposite!

ciaran77
Power User

pretty much the same thing happened to me, I had the 8mb business service before the regrade, and consistant download speeds of about 7mb. After the regrade to 20mb ADSL2+ service, i got a 20mb circuit and 17.5mb download for 3 days, and after that I was getting 2mb circuit and .5mb download speeds. This went on for 3 weeks over xmas, it just wasn't finding the optimum speed automatically. I had to call tech support about 5 times to finally get my line/profile reset and it's now a bit better, getting 9.7mb circuit and 7.5mb download speeds all week, still not getting a 20mb circuit though!

I'd double check the router settings, and ensure they are correct for ADSL2+, if it's not a BT router, check the vendor website for the UK settings, then power down the router and back up after a few mins and see what happens. Pushing BT to reset my profile and restart the 10 day bedding in period seems to have helped my situation.

Overall, the new service is a massive disappointment, speeds are no more than I had before on the 8mb business service, and I can nearlyy see my BT exchange from my house!

Fiona
Grand Guru

Hi dbrb2,

I am really sorry to read about the problems you have had since your upgrade. Unfortunately the technical team would be unable to log a fault during the 10 day stabilization period. Once the line has been set they would then be able to look at the statistics of the line and try and look for any fault.

Once the 10 day stabilization period has ended please run a speedtest, if there are still issues you can contact the technical team regarding speed issues and also post any information on the forum to see if our members can help.

Kind Regards

Fiona

BT Business Forum Moderator

Like this post, or any others? Please click on the star image on the left hand side if you do.
If you ask a question by putting up the first post in a thread and a follow-up post answers your question correctly, please let other Forum members know which post contains the correct answer by clicking on the 'Accept as Solution' button on the right hand side of the post.

dbrb2

Cheers Fiona. Things have improved slightly - by the end of 10 days perhaps they will have improved further...we shall see

Ben