cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Business Hub 2700HGV and Small Business Connector

JP

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem. I recently added a remote user to my Small Business (SB) Server and suddenly started losing web access frequently. I could ping sites on the web happily, Skype worked and just about everything was norma except no http access. Whilst speaking to my new remote user over a video Skype call we did a couple of tests. Whilst I had web access and everything was working fine I got him to connect to the server using the SB connector (VPN). This he did with no problems. For less than 2 minutes we both had web access but suddenly the Skype call was dropped and we both lost web access. He re-established the Skype video call. His connection to the server remained and he could access the router across the virtual LAN but we could not restore the web access without resetting the LAN through the 2wire MDC and rebuilding the firewall setting to the SB server once it had been re-discovered.

I have reserved IP addresses for VPN connections and thus thus know that they appear as new IP addresses attached to the server's MAC address. When using NetScan tools I can see both these IP addresses. Here's the thing, when I look at the LAN from the router set up pages then I see the one MAC address and one or other of the IP addresses never both! The 2wire router firewall config is assocated with a MAC address and the IP address seems to float between the server IP address and the VPN (SB Connector) IP address at random. This seems to be either the cause or a symptom but certainly confuses the router. I know that when I disconnect the SB connector client and reset the LAN as I have described then everything is fine until the SB Connector is used by the client. Is there something unique about the 2wire router design that seems to become a limitation when used in the way I am doing? Any clues?

Many thanks in advance

JP 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JP

Thank you for that info. I am afraid I went for my own Netgear router and have purchased the Vonage VOIP kit. Now have same functionality as 2wire hub but no problems! All up and running and everyone happy.

Thanks again.

JP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Fiona
Grand Guru

HI JP

Welcome to the Forum!

The following post may offer some information on the problem you are experiencing.

http://btb.lithium.com/btb/board/message?board.id=Broadband&thread.id=746&view=by_date_ascending&pag...

Kind Regards

Fiona

BT Business Forum Moderator

Like this post, or any others? Please click on the star image on the left hand side if you do.
If you ask a question by putting up the first post in a thread and a follow-up post answers your question correctly, please let other Forum members know which post contains the correct answer by clicking on the 'Accept as Solution' button on the right hand side of the post.

JP

Thanks for the pointer. I have tried all the options with a combination of Netgear outside 2700 and vice versa as per the referenced thread. I still get the same error when my VPN client connects. Fundamentally the 2700 does not seem to be able to handle the 2 IP addresses the SBS 2003 DHCP server needs to accept the VPN client. My hub software is 5.29.117.6.

It is looking like I am going to ditch the BT Business Hub as it is costing me a packet in lost productivity. Any suggestions how I can minmise the disruption to my 2 VOIP numbers on the Hub? Can I somehow keep the existing numbers with a different hub?

JP 

Fiona
Grand Guru

Hi

You can keep your VoIP numbers, as these are already assigned to you. However, our Broadband Voice team can only offer support on routers within the BT Business Portfolio.

Kind Regards

Fiona

BT Business Forum Moderator

Like this post, or any others? Please click on the star image on the left hand side if you do.
If you ask a question by putting up the first post in a thread and a follow-up post answers your question correctly, please let other Forum members know which post contains the correct answer by clicking on the 'Accept as Solution' button on the right hand side of the post.

a-hill
Grand Master

Hi JP,

the general rule with the 2wire is 1 IP per 1 MAC address. As you've seen, the router will only ever display 1 of those settings at any one time, and the one that isn't displaying won't having working port access until it displays and the other disappears.. which of course knocks the other off.

The set up you want from what I can tell could be done with the Voyager 220v (The other router supplied by BT Business Broadband), as that basically deals purely with IP's and doesn't really care where they're assigned or if more than 1 are going to the same MAC.. so you could have 10 IP's set to your SBS and port access would still work perfectly well. This also has the added bonus of 2 VOIP ports which is supported by the BT VOIP Helpdesk.

The drawbacks are that the 220v doesn't have any wireless, and also there's only 1 ethernet port so you would need a switch connected to allow multiple machines access.

JP

Thank you for that info. I am afraid I went for my own Netgear router and have purchased the Vonage VOIP kit. Now have same functionality as 2wire hub but no problems! All up and running and everyone happy.

Thanks again.

JP