cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Fibre/Infinity - Guide to using your own router

MiloBT
Power User

I've successfully used my own router with BT Infinity for business and figured I'd post this to help anyone who might want to do the same.

The OpenReach VDSL modem that BT supply must be used and (at the moment) can not be replaced with an alternative.

However, the router that is connected to the modem can be.

Any 'cable' type router should work fine (i.e. the ones that are normally used with Virgin's Cable based connections).

In my case I'm using a Linksys/Cisco E3000.

All that needs to be done is firstly, before you're switched over from ADSL, you need to know your username & password.

The username is usually something like:

Bxxxxxx@hgxx.btclick.com

Obviously with all the x's as numbers.

Your password will be the one you selected when signing up.

Secondly, on the router you will be using, you need to set the connection type to PPPoE. Set the username value to the one above, and the password value to the password you selected.

That's it!

NOTES: 

Currently there is only one manufacturer who makes an integrated VDSL modem/router, but this isn't easily available (or reasonably priced), plus BT won't support it...so for those looking for an 'all in one' solution like you may have had for ADSL, you're out of luck for now.

62 REPLIES 62

RoboScorpion

all,

I'm particularly interested in an alternative to the so-called Business Hub 3.  I would like to learn more about how to allocate at least one of my static IPs to the internet interface of a router.  I realise that router configs are all different, but I need to know that whatever router I get can be found (from the web) on one of my BT Static IPs.

RS

rfnet

mydearcosmo
Power User

Nice. Thanks for sharing the link.

AlUMilliner

Have just set up a Draytek Vigor 2850n and seems to work fine, just needed to follow the instructions for the 2750

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb/kb_vigor_v2750_setup.html

Now have this running with both Fibre and ADSL lines as my static IPs still resolve to the ADSL.

Download speed is OK, but am getting very slow upload speeds (600Kbps) which I'm investigating at the moment.

Al.

Westyfield2

So I’ve ordered BT Infinity for Business with 1 static IP. Sadly it’s not for my home as my exchange hasn’t been done let alone my cabinet, but it’s for somewhere else that I’m responsible for.

BT have emailed me:

• Network login name *******@hg52.btclick.com
  • Network login password ********
  • Static IP 217.41.15.***
  • Subnet mask 255.255.255.254 (well duh!)

They’ll be sending a BT Business Hub 3 in the post before the engineer arrives for installation, and he’ll bring the modem with him. But obviously the minute the engineer leaves the BT Business Hub 3 will get disconnected 😛 and I’ll be connecting the modem to our load-balancing router... and herein lies my question!

So the settings for my router, PPPoE with the supplied Network login name and Network login password as per the first post in this thread, but then there's the IP address settings...

Is it DHCP (the exchange DHCP’ing me my static IP based on the Network login name and password I’m connecting with), or is it manually configured Static IP? If it’s manually configured Static, what’s the Gateway IP Address I should use? BT have only emailed me the Static IP and Subnet mask.

I’m assuming I should use DHCP (and the exchange will DHCP me my static IP based on the Network login name and password I’m connecting with), because for manually configured Static IP I’d need to know the Gateway IP and BT haven't included it in the emails (I'd guess that it'll be 217.41.15.1 though)... but BT aren't planning on me using my own router anyways!

tl;dr "Settings for using own router with 1 Static IP"

helpinghands
Power User

The static IP address connects to the router on the User Name and password, so there is no config needed as the router wil automatically pick up the static IP, subnet and  default gateway. Just make sure yOu have the WAN on your router set to DHCP  to pick up the IP.

Westyfield2

DHCP it is, thanks.

Westyfield2

What is the correct MTU setting? My router has defaulted to 1442, but I'd have thought 1492 is correct? (1500-8 bytes of PPPoE headers)

swinny

Can someone recommend the best router if you have a block of static ip's, I presently have 5 and they were very easy to use with the hub i.e choose one from a drop down list and assign to client attached to the lan.

What is this method of applying static ip's called that would help me in choosing another router?

I should explain the reason I am wanting to use my own is that the hub is usleless on wireless and I have to have it switched to b/g mode just to get any stability out of it, as a new business customer I certain would have expected a business class router not this 😞

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

sej7278
Super User

i'm looking into upgrading to inifinity for business, but am a bit shocked by a couple of things - firstly the bt router seems to be useless according to this thread (same as the adsl bus.hub) so that's £170 extra for a new router straight away.

secondly i can't see to find the fair usage policy. the option1 package is 100GB, but in another thread someone said on the option2 unlimited plan they are being throttled as they used 300GB.

so what's the option2 "unlimited" limit then - about 200GB? i mean 80Mbits/sec is 36GBytes/hour, sure you're unlikely to be maxing out your bandwidth constantly, but throtting at 300GB per month seems extreme given that you could use that in under a day, and i assume that its upload+download in that?