cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT2700HGV Impulse Noise Protection - What is it measured in?

generaldisquiet
Power User

The BT2700HGV DSL diagnostics shows a setting for impulse noise protection.  Presumably it 'does what it says on the tin' and in someway protects against impulse noise.  The question is, what is that measured in and what does a particular level mean?

Mine goes up and down a bit from day to day, but I can't find any reference to it.   Is a high value better than a low one?  What are the upper and lower limits?  

Clearly BT thinks its important enough to show in the bespoke firmware, so what is the importance?

3 REPLIES 3

gs
Super User

Where abouts is that? I cannot find it in my router, it is monday morning so maybe I missed it...

I would imagine it is measure in dB like the noise levels therefore lower is better, without seeing it I cannot tell for certain though.

gs

generaldisquiet
Power User
Look at the Diagnostics and Training History page here.  Its the penultimate entry under General Information.

stedly

Impulse Noise Protection is what it means.  Usually lines that build errors are generally caused by impulse noises. the interleave/de-interleaver relationship between the 2 only just correct the errors in codewords.  Impulse Noise Protection, prevents these errors from being created in the first place.  So generally speaking depending on the applications that you're using your Internet service for... 

The Higher is better, and it's usually is measured in Frames or DMT Symbols.  Though its a good idea to find a balance since the Higher of Impulse Noise Protection, the less your SNR Margin will be on the DSL line, which causes your speeds to be lower.

INP is very important for applications such as IPTV service, and VoIP.  Gaming/browsing, make no noticable improvement from this.

Thanks,

Ted