cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband cuts off when phone rings

liamions

Hello all,

I've been having this issue for a couple of months now and it seems to be getting worse and worse. We're a small office with Business account etc, but we're in the middle of nowhere. I was thinking this may be the cause, as we have such poor internet normally (2mb d/l 0.1 u/l).

Anyway, literally the second the phone starts ringing... the internet stops working. It doesn't show on your PC as having issues or anything, it shows the connection and all seems fine but NOTHING works. The internet won't start working again for about two minutes after the end of a phone call.

I've spoken to BT a few times now and it's got the point where they're talking about sending an engineer out, but keep scaring me when they say I'll have big charges if the problem turns out to be my fault and not theres. So I'm just here to see if anyone has any idea before I do ask them to get an engineer out.

First, they sent a new ADSL filter - this made no change.

Second, they told me to just keep the filter connected to the test port rather than the faceplate, this has also made no difference.

My setup:
Master Socket 5c
ADSL filter (with smarthub & main phone)

Main phone is in a box upstairs and unused, with the other three connecting handsets downstairs in our office for the three workers. 

The smarthub connects to router/switchboard which we then run three laptops and three printers off via ethernet downstairs. There's also a NAS plugged into the smarthub. 

BT say they've tested lines or something, and all seems OK. Anyone have any ideas? 

2 REPLIES 2

liamions

Anyone able to answer?

This is getting worse and worse. Now the internet stays off for about 5 minutes after phone call ended (Absolute pain when the phone call was only about 10 seconds long!!!) - Now get the network error symbol on the internet connection. 

liamions

Update:

Yesterday someone called and the internet went out for 5 mins.

10 mins later they called back and the internet was fine.

One phone call this morning also didn't cut the internet out.

This is so frustating! Can't see any patterns at all and I can see no reason why this should be happening.