cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business hub in Bridge mode and Complaint!

btnotverygood

I have been using my bt business hub in bridge mode for 6 months sucessfully. A few days ago my internet stopped working so i tried to sort it out. I bypassed my firewall (pfsense) and connected directly to the bt business hub. To my amazement the routers wireless has been enabled by itself and it was set to open and there was various hostnames of phones and other devicesd in the dns list. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE, I CAN NOT HAVE THE WIRELESS AUTOMATICALLY TURNING ITSELF ON, THIS IS SECRUITY RISK, THIS IS A WASTE OF MY BANDWIDTH. I am sure BT just do it so that they can resell my bandwidth with btopenzone. It may have turned itself on while i was rebooting the router but this should not randomlly change settings especially when all the other settings remain the same like the login details.

Ok well back to the problem. I have been unable to get the bt business hub to in to bridge mode, everytime i reboot the router it reverts back to the pppoe with routing neabled and loses the bridge mode settings. I read up and apparently this is a "known issue" and is apparanetly a firmware problem. Well i just so happen to have a second bt business hub which is on a different firmware version and after pluggin ni this brand new router i experiecned the exactly the same problem with the settings not saving. What makes me think it is not a firmware problem but something that BT has done to disable bridge mode capability:

1) problem happened with a bt business hub with latest firmware. After putting it into bridge mode you need to restart to get it too work but the restart just resets the settings back to the pppoe, non bridge mode.
2) i tried a different business hub router with an older firmware and it behaved in exactly the same way.
3) i reset the modem while the router was in bridge mode and the modem reboot reset the router to non bride mode.

I tried to bypass the bt business hub and connect it directly to PFSENSE which is an opensource firewall router distribution. I set the pfsense to pppoe and filled in the correct settings but it refuses to get an ip address, sometimes it gets a 172 ip address. I work in IT and i know how to configure network devices. So this is obviously a restriction or limitation of the BT infinity service. I am on a dynamic ip with BT so i don't rent a (fake) static ip address from BT.

So questions:

1) why am i am not able to set the bs business hub in to bridge mode anymore.

2) Why am i unable to use pfsense and pppoe as my router

3) do you think there is something wrong with my modem?

Also would like to point out that i refuse to contact BT by phone.

12 REPLIES 12

btnotverygood

I thought i should try again so i connected the pfsense to the modem and rebooted the modem and waited 5-10 mins still no ip address or anything. So i rebooted pfsense and then went and did something else and i came back after 30 mins and it had an ip. So that is a good ending. Now i just need to try and get ipv6 working.

If anyone wants bt openzone business hub, let me know, i can send it. Are these business hubs on lease or can we sell them if we don't need them?

kuerten
Super User

Hi bud. Is the offer still available? 

peterernest

BT's hubs, for some considerable time now, automatically broadcast BT Fon / Openzone from your hub as well as your own wi-fi. This does not affect your bandwidth, it is totally seperate to your own personal broadband. You should, if it causes you that much concern, be able to disable this feature however when you are out and about using BT FON or Openzone remember that is is because others allow their routers to do exactly what you are not happy yours doing.

Secondly; on occasion I have used the free BT helpline 08001 114567 once the desktop help software has given up. I find they're very efficient at putting right any issues I have come across. Perhaps it might be worth letting them 'troubleshoot' by remote if anything to prevent you getting too stressed about it.

Only a though.

Good luck.