cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot send btconnect email on Windows Phone

elf1995

I have set up email on a new Nokia Lumia 800 (Windows) phone.  I can receive emails but cannot send them. I have set phone up as follows, as per BT instructions:

Incoming server: pop.outlook.com

Outgoing server: smpt.outlook.com

I had trouble setting up email initially, as my password was not accepted as correct. 

12 REPLIES 12

DaveA
BT Partner
BT Partner

Hi,

Is it a Windows 8 phone?  I haven't had a Nokia in years and haven't kept up with them.

Dave

elf1995

It is a Windows 7 phone.

elf1995

DaveA
BT Partner
BT Partner

Hi,

Was wondering, as W8 doesn't support POP on PC, so might have been the same on phones.

Actually could you have a look at the outgoing server you've listed in the original post? You've got smpt instead of smtp.

Dave

Burkem5
Guru

hi guys i work for bt an have a windows 7 phone give me two minutes and i will have a step by step on how to set this up 

Burkem5
Guru

ok first things first connect the phone to the BT wifi
this will make sure that you are sending via BT and other providers are not blocking you as potential spam

you can do this by going to settings > wifi > *choose network* > *enter password*

once that's done go to settings > "email and accounts" > "add an account" > "advanced set up" >enter the email address and password
> click next > "internet email" > now set the following settings
account name - whatever you want this to be
your name - *your name*

the next part depends on the type of email account you have
if you login to www.myoffice.bt.com and actually go to the mailbox

if your mailbox is orange and white use the following settings

incoming mail server - pop.outlook.com:995
account type - POP3
username - your full email address
password - *your password*
outgoing mailserver - smtp.outlook.com:587

outgoing server requires authentication - yes
use the same username and password for sending mail - yes

then click on advanced settings

require SSL for incoming - yes
require SSL for outgoing - yes

if your mailbox is blue and white then use these settings

incoming mail server - pop3.btconnect.com:110
account type - POP3
username - your full email address
password - *your password*
outgoing mailserver - smtp.btconnect.com:25

outgoing server requires authentication - no
use the same username and password for sending mail - no

then click on advanced settings

require SSL for incoming - no
require SSL for outgoing - no

I have tested this on my own phone and can send and receive when connected to BT wifi

let me know if that works for you 

DaveT

Just had the latest HTC Windows Phone 8S. Not even a manual for it yet on the HTC website but thanks very much for this information. Using BT Business lite, Orange and White mailbox. Dialed in the these settings and it fired up first time, no problem. Might be worth putting this on the main BT phone listings for others.

Cheers!

mervyn11

Hi Burkem5

Have set my windows phone up as you suggest ( Nokia Lumina 710 )

I still cannot access my account.

The phone say syncronysing then asks for my password again.

If I put my password in again the same thing happens again and again.

Do you have any suggestings as to what might be the problem??

Burkem5
Guru

Sorry about that -  let me hunt around for a colleague with the nokia Lumia and i will get back to you today

Burkem5
Guru

OK -  I had a colleague set up with the above settings and this went through correctly 
below is a link to an external site with correct screenshots and set up instructions 

use the settings above and the screenshots and guide below and this will allow you to set this up

SCREENSHOT LINK

Disclaimer ::  BT as standard does not support any mobile devices.  I have however found a step by step complete instruction guide with screenshots etc.  As this was on another companies websites Bt do not claim any responsibility for any repercussions from following this link or following the settings within