cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email migration to office 365 doesn't work - help!!!!!

rossco

Hi,  

Hoping that some-one will be able to help me find out how I can get my outlook 2007 mail client to start receiving emails again after BT migrated our office mail server over to the new 365 system.  thus far no-one has answered any of the phone numbers that I dial for the BT 'support', and all the information on the BT website appears to give the wrong server setting details.

Any help greatly appreciated as its been a couple of days now that I can-not download my emails.

Ross.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Snowbird

I also spent a fruitless hour flogging through the BT and MS systems to sort this mess out. The BT configurator for Outlook (2010 in my case) was useless. It left the settings as follows:

Pop3: pop3.btconnect.com port 25 no encryption

SMTP: smtp.btonnect.com port 10 no encryption

That sent OK but didn't receive e-mails, which is what you found, Kuerten. So I then searched through Office 365 help and found the following settings:

Pop3: pod51017.outlook.com port 995 SSL encryption

SMTP: pod51017.outlook.com port 587 TLS encryption

That received but didn't send! It gave an authentication failure connecting to the SMTP server. So I searched through the BT help information and found the following:

Pop3: pop.outlook.com port 995 SSL encryption

SMTP: smtp.outlook.com port 587 TLS/SSL encryption

That received but again didn't send. Further investigation showed that SSL is NOT an option for SMTP. It MUST be TLS. But it still didn't send; again I get an authentication failure. So then I tried an extra setting in Outlook:

Go to Account settings/Change Account/More settings/Advanced/Outgoing server.

Make sure that "My outgoing (SMTP) server requires authentication" is ticked.

***Now make sure that the radio button "use same settings as my incoming mail server" is ticked. ***

It wasn't, in my case, and THAT was the problem.

Eureka! It all worked! I hope it does for you, too.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

markp
Grand Guru

Hi rossco,

If you look at the thread "What are the correct SMTP settings for Outlook?".  This explains what the correct settings are that you need to use in outlook 2007.  If these settings do not work I would advise contacting the helpdesk on 0845 600 7020 or through their live chat service.

Regards

MarkP

BT Business Forum Moderator

rossco

Hi Markp,

Thanks for the link, that’s fixed it now - really appreciate the swift response.

I might suggest to BT though that they update their help pages as all the links give the wrong server settings. I tried the number you gave before, however it would seem the help desk is woefully undermanned at the moment as after an hour on hold the call got dropped and repeat tries never solicited any response other than the automated 'your call is in a queue and is important to us' message until the line was dropped.

Anyhow,  thanks again for your assistance,  greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Ross.

PeggyS

Hi, we were "migrated" to your new 365 system yesterday.  So far we have wasted two whole days talking to your help desk and failing to get a solution.

We are getting hundreds of the same emails coming down from the BT server and failing to send emails ourselves.

If this is progress give me a typewriter!

Last thing I was told yesterday when I was being "helped" was that my Outlook 2003 was too old and I needed to buy an upgrade.  Why not specify that before getting customers to opt for the upgrade.

Robin1947

The e-mail migration worked OK for me on my PC and I have no problems sending or receiving e-mails.  However!!  When trying to set up the service on my Android phone the picture is different.  I tried entering the new Incoming & Outgoing Server settingls ('pop.outlook.com' & 'smtp.outlook.com') but the phone refused to accept these details and I got the error message "Username or password incorrect"; although both had been entered correctly.

The phone accepts the old settings ('pop3.btconnect.com' & 'smtp.btconnect.com') but then I can only send e-mails, not receive them.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

I had a 'live chat' yesterday about this and the suggestion was that the phone was at fault.  However, my two other e-mail accounts, one Outlook & the other Gmail, both work fine.  So it's back to BT for help please.

Chris2218

Hi. Yes I have had the same trouble with this on a iphone 4S on O2 and have spoken with there IT department with very little help. However I think I have hte answer to the problem.

Follow BTs guidance on IPad and Iphone but do it with wifi turned off rely on 3G it is slower but it will work. When you complete the initial box put name in and email address but change btconnect in description to email address as well. get verified and if the info box pops up for POP check the settings i.e. port numbers. Then just complete. Afterwards you can change the Description to whatever you want. IT Works 6 hours I tried less than 5 minutes my way. Best of luck.

Robin1947

Thanks for your comments but I have an Android phone so your guidance was not applicable.  What would be nice is if a BT Moderator could provide an answer????

neilpost

Can't help but agree.

The Business Broadband Helper Installer was dreadful.

The Business Broadband Helper fundamerntally does not work

The FAQ articles do not work, as they do not mention the related article about Ports and Encrytion settings.

A BT 'Right First Time' fail.

kuerten
Super User

Hi Robin.

The phone accepts the old settings ('pop3.btconnect.com' & 'smtp.btconnect.com') but then I can only send e-mails, not receive them.

It means that there's something not right on the Pop3 server. BT needs to verify this.

Paula38

Hi, i have a android phone with the new email working fine.

My Incoming settings are:-

Protocol - POP

Email address & Username are the same i.e. paula@btconnect.com
Password

POP server - pop.outlook.com

Security type - SSL

Server Port - 995

Outgoing settings are:-

Login required - ticked

Username - as above

Password

SMTP server - smtp.outlook.com