cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enabling ADSL

peteryetman

I had a new Business line fitted about 6 weeks ago. My ISP were happy for me to add another line to my account at no extra cost. They have been trying for the last month to enable ADSL on my line. BT have been less than helpful, after a number of attempts, they have now told my ISP that my line is too far from the exchange (3km) to enable ADSL.

I work in a small complex of businesses which all have an internet service on BT lines.

So I now have a useless line that is costing me 15 pounds a month plus installation.

I wonder if I was using BT as my ISP I would be having the same trouble?

Anyone else had a similar experience, if so, how did you solve it?

Peter

8 REPLIES 8

MHC
Guru

3km for ADSL - should be fine with speeds of around 6Mbps on ADSL2+.

Can you access the BT DSL  line checked and report teh EXACT response (hide your phone number).

http://business.bt.com/broadband-and-internet/business-broadband/   and click on Check Availability.

And before you suggest it,  BT would not be telling your ISP it was impossible, just so you move to BT as your provider.     I have heard similar comments many times and often it is the ISP being lazy.

peteryetman

Just ran the check.....

Your line check results

• Telephone number: XXXXXXXXXXXXX
  • Broadband speed: No information available

Try another number

Possible low speed

The distance between you and the nearest telephone exchange is quite far, which means your line might only support 256Kb.

You can still order broadband today, we'll contact you to confirm what speed you can get after we complete some more tests.

The thing is that all the other businesses on the site have broadband, so it must be possible on this line?

Thanks for your prompt response,

Peter

MHC
Guru

There is a possibility that your line may come in via a different route ...

or,  the location on the BT systems is incorrect.

Call 0800 1693809 and choose teh options for a new order ... explain and see what they can do.

peteryetman

Many thanks, will try.

P

peteryetman

Still waitnig for them to pick up, meanwhile I put my line into the BT Fault Checker. It said it was not possible to check this type of line. It always has, and I thought it was because the line was new. Does this mean I've got the wrong sort of line for ADSL?

P

peteryetman

Has a call with a very helpful lady at BT today, who completely understood my problem and suggested that BT Broadband might make a better go at providing a service.

Aslo found out today that  the cable to the barns where I work was laid specially to provide broadband to the site in 2008, so no dodgy routes or cables. How do I convince BT that the line is viable when I can't communicate with BT Wholesale?

Anyway will try another ISP and see what happens.

Thanls for your help.

P

gouledw

picking up a cheap business hub off ebay may be a way to tell, they have a good go at getting syncro on long lines.  if you can get an isp to place an order for rate adaptive, it will be active on the circuit, then plug the router in and if it syncs it syncs, and will give you whatever the maximum your line can support, if it doesn't sync then it's unlikely any router will.

mikewash

Great tip. Inform us once you found something at ebay.