cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed on 2wire 2700HGV device naming

polegateman

I recently added three devices to my 2wire2700HGV router.  These are satellite TV boxes, and work fine, however in the list of devices held by the router, they have very unhelpful device descriptions, for example

unknown000378777CE8 and the even more vague 'host'.  I have worked back from the devices' mac

addresses so I know what each item is, but I'd really like to rename them something meaningful.  Can this be done, please?   Many thanks, Hugh.

4 REPLIES 4

MHC
Guru

It is possible to rename teh device - but only if the device wants to let you.

On the <SETTINGS>   <LAN>   <Statistics> page there is the list which I believe you can see.  It comprises 6 columns;  Device,    Interface,  MAC address, IP address,   and two unnamed.

The first four are obvious and the last two tend to have links;  the first is Device Details comprising the data from the first four fields and some on content/access restrictions.     The second is Edit Name and allows you to edit the name of the device - unfortunately most are blank! and you cannot becasue the device will not allow it.

polegateman

Thank you for that information.  I am using  BT Home Hub software and it seems to be different and less helpful.  Perhaps i should seek out 2wire's own offering??

MHC
Guru

@polegateman wrote:

Thank you for that information.  I am using  BT Home Hub software and it seems to be different and less helpful.  Perhaps i should seek out 2wire's own offering??

How can you use teh Home Hub software?   It is for a totally different device.

I dobt if the generic 2wire software willl make any difference as te problem is with teh other devices and NOT teh router.   Changing te router software will not change the information that the devices - TV, gamnes console &c provides.

polegateman

The 2wire 2700HGV was a BT Business Hub prior to the latest one.  BT's software came with it.  I got this router in 2008, I think.