cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Issues

Enis

Currently have BT Business Hub 3 2wire Hub

I understand we have a Dynamic IP address (I have requested a static I addresss)

We have 4 laptops and 1 printer connected by wifi

1 Buffalo Link Station by ethernet, this is my problem, it keeps changing IP address so anyone trying to remote access the system via the oriiginal IP address have no access.

What can I do to allow permenant access?

8 REPLIES 8

DaveA
BT Partner
BT Partner

Hi,

Right let me get this straight.

You have your Buffalo set up for remote access, but you still have a dynamic IP?  Or do you have the static IP now?

If you still have the dynamic then that's what's going to happen, but if the static is active then you need to make sure you have the correct username and password in the router, as the connection picks up the IP from this.

You might then need to set up port forwarding, but I'm not 100% sure.

I think that's right anyway.

Dave

Enis

Hi Dave,

Thank you for reply, I am waiting for the static IP to go live.

Once live I was not sure what I should do to ensure the Buffallo keeps the same IP address.

Enis

Enis

Also where do I enter the username and password?

Enis

DaveA
BT Partner
BT Partner

Hi,

Here's how to put in the password on the Hub 3:

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/c/426,3671,3838,3862/a_id/19226/kw/username%20busi...

As far as the Buffalo goes I believe you would have to have to set up port forwarding, but the more network related guys would probably know more than me.

Dave

rivalchild

Hi,

Your static IP is assigned via your network username e.g.. C12345678@hg12.btclick.com and a password, so you'll need to make sure that's entered correctly. The guide that Dave posted will talk you through that.

Now, static IPs are automatically assigned to the router and from there you port forward to other devices. A few things to check over:

- Make sure you haven't assigned the static IP to the device in question either in the router settings or the device settings. The device should be set to a normal local address (normally 192.168.1.xxx)

- Take note of any ports you need opened to access the device. For most devices the set up or manual will tell you this.

Then have a go using this BT Port Forwarding Guide if you get stuck or it doesn't seem to be working then call into the Technical Help Desk (0800 800 152) and they'll get you through to the Technical Ownership Unit who can help.

Hope that helps.

seeman

Hello friends,I am new one in that forum and this is my first post.

Thanks for providing such a great solution through that post.I really appreciate this helpful info.

Enis

Thanks the new IP should be active and I will try this tomorrow.

Thank you all for your help

Enis

Hi, Once again thanks for the help so far.

I followed the posts above and the IP address is static, rather than go through the hassle and for a better end user experience I decided to allow the LinkStation to allow access via FTP, the LinkStation has the IP address of the new static IP so all worked over the weekend. Then around midday today the LS went offline and had a new IP address.  I reset the LS and it picked up the static IP address.  What am I doing wrong?