cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Its not my problem!!!

russj

I have had an intermitant fault with our Broadband for the last few weeks and have received little or no help from BT. This week every time the phone line rings the broadband goes down and I have now been told by BT broadband that it is a telephone line fault, I've contacted Telephone Faults and they say its a broadband problem. Can anyone advise how to get BT to take ownership of a fault? Is there anyone that can be contacted that will take ownership? Customer complaints don't even reply  to e-mails. Help!

2 REPLIES 2

DaveA
BT Partner
BT Partner

Hi,

Right at this stage, without knowing any details, it could be either.

What we need to do is determine some more details, so I would advise trying the following, assuming you haven't already done so, testing the connection/phone line each time:

- First off check the line for noise using a handset.  Check it with the following combinations:

1. Just the phone plugged into the master socket.

2. Microfilter with just the phone plugged into it.

3. Microfilter with the phone and the router, but with the router turned off.

4. Microfilter with the phone and router, and everything turned on and BB connected.

If you get noise with the first option, then it is very likely that there's an issue with the phone line.  If it's anyo fht other three then the first thing you should do is try changing the microfilter to see if this helps.  If you only get noise with the router in then you could be looking at a faulty router.

Now before you go on to the Helpdesks at this point you need to check if you have an NTE5 master socket, and repeat all the above tests while plugged into the test socket under the small panel with two screws.  If there's no noise then it's like to be any extensions you have, or possibly a faulty faceplate.

If you get exactly the same as in the master socket then you're in the same situations as above.

That's a start for you.

Dave

Davel
Super User

Have a listen for noise on the line. Just pick up the phone & dial any number and listen to see if there is noise.