cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep getting disconnected from Xbox 360

DCJonah

Morning all

I signed up to BT Infinity around 2 months ago after having Virgin for 4-5 years. I eventually chose to leave Virgin after a month period where the Broadband was horrendously slow. I decided to go with BT Infinity as they seemed good for gaming. I play my Xbox 360 quite often and (other than the last month of my contract) never had any issues on Virgin.

The first 10 days with BT Infinity were brlliant, the Internet was quick and I didn't have any problems. Unfortunately, after 10 days I started to randomly get kicked from games, lose connection to my Xbox Live party, etc. After a lot of trouble shooting:

- Port forwarding

- Giving my Xbox a static address

- Changing my Wireless channel

- Disabling UPnP

- Wired connection to my Xbox

I was still no closer to finding the resolution. Usually after getting disconnected I'll do a connection test and will get a moderate NAT setting. I do these tests randomly and I'm constantly changing from Open to Moderate. I can only assume this is the reason for my problem. I should also mention that this doesn't only happen on one game but all games.

After having no luck, I decided to do a hard reset and see if that fixed the problem. After doing this, I was able to play with no problems for another 5-6 days before it all started again. I've now reset my router about 5 times and the same thing keeps reoccuring.

I can only assume the router (HH3 Type A) is the issue as I never had any problems with Virgin. I've just got off the phone with BT support where they did a few checks and eventually came to conclusion that my broadband/router are showing no errors so it must simply be my Xbox (even though I told them about the previous 4-5 years of no problems). I did ask BT to send me out another router to see if that was the issue but they simply refused. I've checked the router logs and I'm getting the following quite often:

23:12:48, 19 Aug.(438487.580000) OpenWiFi_1 IPSec connection is down
21:43:19, 19 Aug.(433118.190000) OpenWiFi_1 IPSec connection is up

I'm not sure if this is an indication that something is going wrong.

I'm at a bit of a loss what to do next, I tried posting on the normal forums but was told they can't do anything for me and pointed me in this direction. I'm hoping someone on the forums has experienced a similar issue and has found a fix

Thanks in advance for any help suggested!

David Jones

5 REPLIES 5

DaFox

Sounds similar to me. I spoke to someone today (after a first refusal by someone having a bad day) and they said to forward the ports to the IP address of the console - rather than allocating 'rules' or whatever they were, specific to the device. 

DCJonah

Thanks for the suggestion but I've already set port forward to use the static IP address instead of the device name/mac address. I thought it may have fixed it (after a night of not being disconnected) but it didn't.

DaFox

Oh ok. Did you manually enter the ports?

• Port 88 (UDP)
  • Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 80 (TCP)

I forwarded these to the IP address of the console. Before that I tried the default port-forwarding settings for both the console and the game, neither worked. 

DCJonah

I've done the above and it still doesn't work.

Does anyone from BT actually respond to these forum posts? I've just been disconnected another two times tonight and it's getting annoying!

DaveA
BT Partner
BT Partner

Hi,

As it says on the right of the main page the forums are not an offical contact for the Helpdesk.

If you're still having problems then you should contact the Helpdesk to have them check your connection - 08001693809 since you're on fibre.

Dave