cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kindle Fire

Anthony1954

Just tried to set up Kindle Fire for emails.

I'm using Outlook 365 for emails on my laptop

I've used pop not imap for the set up

Incoming server is as follows:-

Pop3 server   pod51017.outlook.com

security type SSL/TLS

Port 995

Outgoing server is as follows:-

SMTP server   pod51017.outlook.com

Security type tried everything!! but presently set to STARTLS

Port 587

Requires sign in unticked (tried it ticked as well!!)

Can receive emails but each time I try to send from the Kindle they remain in the outbox. A message appears Connection problem (Btconnect).

Some help please

22 REPLIES 22

Stephenc
Master User

Hi Guys,

I just thought I'd add for anyone using exchange microsoft suggest setting it up as IMAP.

It does not appear to work as exchange at the moment, the settings should be:

IMAP Settings:

Incoming server.

User name xxxxxxx@btconnect.com
Password
Imap server enter:imap.outlook.com
security type SSL/TLS
Port 993

Outgoing the same as above.

Thanks,

Steve

Grant_C

You shouldn't use podxxxx@outlook.com for your mail server.  If this pod goes down, your mail will stop working.

Use pop.outlook.com (incoming) and mail.outlook.com (outgoing)

This will ensure if there is a pod failure your mail will work on one of the contingency ones.

Also in regards to mail working on other devices but not reaching your kindle.  You should make sure that the other devices leave a copy of mail on the server.  If the first device is not set this way, it will remove the email and therefore there is nothing for the Kindle to retrieve.

Hope this helps,

Grant

paulhodges1

Terrific, thanks - saved me hours

llecyn

I am so very very grateful that I stumbled across this solution early on in my endeavours to get my e-mail working on my new Kindle Fire. Thank you for saving me so much time and frustration Smiley Happy

Anthony1954

My pleasure!

1948colin

Tried everything listed below, but still getting AUTHENTICATION METHODS NOT SUPPORTED BY SERVER. Has anyone any ideas. 

thanks col.

Anthony1954

Hi this seems to work for most people, just a thought when you load the details, from my memory of keying the details the system defaults to IMAP and you have to return to the top of the menu to change it to pop.

Also are you entering the details exactly as I've given them ie don't key in pop3 and SMTP before the rest of the format. Final thought are you ticking the authentication box and then loading a relevant password this is easy to miss.

I'm also assuming that you are using office 365 if not the Kindle may load the relevant details itself. Best of luck, I'm still using the Pod address details even though a BT guy says not to and these are working fine. The support for Kindle Emails is not brilliant either from Kindle support or BT. It took me about 12 hours over a couple of days until I got the right combination. One of the advantages of being retired and having the time!!

Stephenc
Master User

Hi Colin,

Are you on the old platform (i.e. not office365)?  It sounds like you might be, one of the disadvantages of the old service, was if you're connected to a bt broadband wifi, outgoing authentication needs to be turned off, if you are on 3G or another providers wifi, you need to change this to have authentication on.

This may cause the error.

Anthony, the pod servers will work fine, we generally advise not to use them, because if the specific pod server you are connected to fails no email will be received, however if you set your incoming server to pop.outlook.com and one pod server fails, you can still retrieve the mail through a different pod server.

Leaving the settings as they are will not cause any immediate problems, but may prevent future ones.

Thanks,

Steve

Anthony1954

Steve,

thanks for the advice I'll leave as is for now, but I've moved the whole Post to my docs file on my laptop for future reference if things stop working. If that happens and I use the new settings and they work ok I'll update the post accordingly. What would work even better is if Amazon/Kindle added BT to their loaded list of email providers with the settings that they know will work.

My thanks to all who have contributed and helped others out along the way

1948colin

Hi Steve.

as most of us, we have just been upgraded to office 365 with our servers now showing outlook.com.    however my internet connection is via our home hub which was supplied early days of  BT Vision.    If this is the case,  can you explain how i turn off the authentication as decribed in your responce.

Thanks again Steve.   your reply was much appreciated.