cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Persevering with my problem .....

david111

It appears I am stuck with 2 different BT accounts. The first is fine.

In the second I only bought a domain and it seems I do not have web hosting 

In the second when I go to Manage your website/s (Fred is fictitious) I see

Manage your website/s

Your free web space is at http://home.btconnect.com/fred/

Manage your free web space

Change FTP password for http://home.btconnect.com/fred

Return to Manage Internet services

So I have activated my space OK, but I am expecting to see 

BT Web Hosting (IBP) (fred.co.uk)

Manage fred.co.uk

Change FTP password for fred.co.uk

But it is not there ... there is no link that I can click on to manage fred.co.uk

This is different from my first domain (bought with the £2.99 package) where is there is such a link for the different domain associated with that account.

I'd be prepared to upgrade the Fred account to web hosting by paying another £2.99 but there seems no option to do this. Also I can see a page which says I cannot transfer fred.co.uk to my first account.

So essentially my question is ... how can a find a link to fred.co.uk that I can click to get going to add stuff to web pages with easysite wizard etc

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

agowans

Hi David,

As you only bought a domain you do not have a webhosting package on the second account other than the free webspace.  You could direct the domain towards this using the Manage your domain names link in the myoffice site but it would still show http://home.btconnect.com/fred after fred.co.uk redirected a browser to that address.  If you want to add webhosting to this account there is a link under manage services section on the right hand side under 'upgrade options' titled Internet Business Pack.  Clicking this and selecting

'I want to buy a new Online business tool (without Broadband or Broadband Advanced)' will allow you to purchase an IBP which in turn you can assign your domain to, this should process almost instantly but may take 24 hours.

Hope this helps

Ally

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

agowans

Hi David,

As you only bought a domain you do not have a webhosting package on the second account other than the free webspace.  You could direct the domain towards this using the Manage your domain names link in the myoffice site but it would still show http://home.btconnect.com/fred after fred.co.uk redirected a browser to that address.  If you want to add webhosting to this account there is a link under manage services section on the right hand side under 'upgrade options' titled Internet Business Pack.  Clicking this and selecting

'I want to buy a new Online business tool (without Broadband or Broadband Advanced)' will allow you to purchase an IBP which in turn you can assign your domain to, this should process almost instantly but may take 24 hours.

Hope this helps

Ally

david111

Dear Ally,

Thanks for your help. I checked this out and I see that I can buy the IBP for £5 per month so I have a way out now.

I'm not bothered by a few pounds extra per month but it's add that I will have to pay an extra £5 per month rather than £2.99. I might as well scrap the domain fred.co.uk and buy another £2.99 starter pack and get a new domain.

Pity as I wanted to use fred ... and really it's not a very neat solution to a problem that should be simple.

I won't act on your suggestion just yet as I sent an E-mail to the web team and maybe they might suggest an alternative for me to consider.

Best Regards,

David

david111

The correct solution is provided by Ally above.

Essentially whenever you buy a new domain from BT it is necessary to buy associated with it a web hosting package if you wish to use the domain to make a website using BT resources.

Thus if you buy the £2.99 package you get one domain free. If you then buy another domain from within this account it is necessary to buy again another web hosting package in the way described by Ally. (The price listed is £5 for the IBP but in fact you will be reimbursed the difference between £5 and £2.99 a the current time.) So in effect you end up with two manageable domains on the account but you will be paying 2 x £2.99 per month. 

The alternative is every time you want a new domain with web hosting is to simply buy a £2.99 webhosting package with it. 

agowans

David111 is spot on here, I have spoken to billing and although the online purchasing process informs you that a new IBP will cost £5 p/m excluding VAT the cost will actually be £2.99 excluding VAT through bill credit.  This is useful for anyone wanting to add hosting to an existing account.

Ally