cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I now have two btconnect usernames and two different passwords

david111

Further to my query on domain names and multiple accounts just below ...

So I received E-mail confirming my second domain name and giving me a new username and password. I logged in to manage services using this password and there was not indication of the new domain name. Nor does it appear in the

The BT domains centre says,

• Activate an unallocated hosting account by selecting one of your domains as a Primary Domain Name.
    For more information on activating hosting click here
  •  

I do this and get to instruction page which I follow but after login in and manage services there are no alerts to indicate how I access my new domain.

Then if I login using my first username and password to the site where I manage the domain that came with the £2.99 starter pack there is no indication as to how I can access my new domain.

Ahhhh now I am reading there is mention of a letter than I must wait for before I can activate the new domain ... is this the answer.

One further puzzle is that if I want to use the software eg Easy site wizard with the new domain where I am only paying £10 how does "the system" know that I have already paid the £2.99 with the first domain name ... given that I have different usernames with the two domains.

phew ... I hope someone can help.

6 REPLIES 6

Fiona
    Grand Guru

Hi David

You should be able to use easy site wizard with your new domain, you would be able to access the software once you log into manage the domain.

The only reason I can think that you have been given a new username and password for your new domain, is because the domain was set up as a totally separate account. Normally if you access your primary account and select manage services, you can then add another domain to the account you are logged into, keeping everything under the one username. If you order through the BT Business homepage as a new customer, you would be given new account details.

Kind Regards

Fiona

BT Business Forum Moderator

Like this post, or any others? Please click on the star image on the left hand side if you do.
    If you ask a question by putting up the first post in a thread and a follow-up post answers your question correctly, please let other Forum members know which post contains the correct answer by clicking on the 'Accept as Solution' button on the right hand side of the post.

david111

Fiona,

Thanks for your comments.

So now I have logged in to my first account, the £2.99 starter one that came with the free domain. So I am thinking to try to add the new domain (bought for £10 and for which I have new username etc) to this first account.

I go to manage services and scroll down to Websites and domain names. There are several options to click on,

'Order a domain name' ... I don't want this because I have already bought the second domain. I want to transfer it to the first account. In fact if I click on this option and type in the name of the second name I'm told that it is unnavailable ... of course because I have already bought it !!

'Transfer a domain name to BT' ... this looks promising as there is a box in which to type a domain name to transfer. However I have to pay for this transfer £11.50 but in fact I believe that this page applies only to the transfer of domain names from outside BT into BT. The reason I believe this is that there is a page in the help section which says that it is not possible to transfer domains between BT user accounts.

'Manage your domain names' ... this is no good because it is for forwarding my original free domain name, of course it says this because I am logged into this account now. I want to transfer the second domain name into this account. So this is no good.

'SSL Certificates' ... I don't think this is relevant.

'Manage your websites/s' ...  this is for managing the webspace on my first free domain. There is no indication on how from here I might transfer in my new second domain name.

'Upgrade your web hosting' ... well there are links here to all the different packs. I would be most happy to upgrade to the starter pack on my second domain account by paying another £2.99 per month. But there is no indication that this can be done. Certainly I could buy another £2.99 starter pack but I would then have to specify a third completely different domain name. But I want to use the second domain name.

So this is the situation I am in. Hope you could advise me further.

David

david111
    Dear Fiona, Ally has replied to my other message on this issue ... Persevering with my problem. He suggest how I can buy a new IBP for the second domain. Eventually I can do this but as I replied to him I'm awaiting comment from the web team. Thanks again for your interest in my problem, and still any other ideas would be welcome. Best Regards, David

Fiona
    Grand Guru

Hi

The best thing to do is to see if you can transfer the domain from one account to another, so you have everything under the one account number and username. If you private mail me your details i can see if the domain team can do this for you, or you could email them through http://www.dnsforms.co.uk selecting general enquiry and ask them to merge the two accounts.

I hope this helps

Fiona

BT Business Forum Moderator

Like this post, or any others? Please click on the star image on the left hand side if you do.
    If you ask a question by putting up the first post in a thread and a follow-up post answers your question correctly, please let other Forum members know which post contains the correct answer by clicking on the 'Accept as Solution' button on the right hand side of the post.

david111

Fiona,

Thanks for you interest in this problem. There has been quite a discussion on a couple of the other threads I started. It has been a bit of a hastle to sort out, but interesting because I learnt something.

The topic of merging accounts did not come up. There is a help page that says that domains cannot be transferred between accounts. It would be interesting to know from BT whether this merging is easy and problem free.

For the moment I have my two accounts working fine now and I think I will stick with them for the time being.

Best Regards,

David

RoadHog

David,  

I have come late to this merging of accounts. Is it all done now? I don't want to merge accounts. is there a get out?

Ann.