cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Policy regarding hosting websites on Infinity?

Ixel
Power User

Given I have Infinity with an upload sync of 20,000 kilobits, I would like to host some websites on my home server. I have five static IP's so that's not a problem either.

My question however is, what is BT Business's policy regarding any website I host which may inadvertently be in violation of my terms of service and of course theirs (for example, the website owner may have uploaded content which could be in violation of DMCA)?

On my current dedicated server hosted in France, which I want to scrap soon if I can safely host from home, the provider usually sends me an email informing me of the website in violation and gives me around 24 hours to resolve the issue and inform them of resolution. With BT, the last thing I'd want is to find my FTTC service suddenly suspended or terminated without any time to resolve the violation (in other words, no notification giving me something like 12-24 hours), so I'm hoping it's a similar process.

Could anyone advise? Or perhaps a BT employee on this forum even. While I wait for a response I'll continue copying the webhosting accounts over. If I can host from home it would save me a bit of money and make my home server more useful.

10 REPLIES 10

DaveA
BT Partner
BT Partner

Hi,

I've asked the question.  I'll let you know when I get something back.

Dave

Ixel
Power User

Thanks, the transfers are now complete, just awaiting confirmation on the policy before I go ahead and change the DNS stuff to point to the new IP.

Ixel
Power User

Any update?

DaveA
BT Partner
BT Partner

Hi,

I was waiting on another email back to clarify a specific point, but haven't heard anything.

The info I do have is that you are responsible for all sites you host for third parties.  The abuse team involved would contact you and the site amended/take down within 24 hours, and further instances could involve account termination.

As I stay I'm still looking for a point of clarification, but that's what I have for now.

Dave

Ixel
Power User

I see. Yes, the point where 'further incidents could cause termination of the account' is a problem. No server provider I've been with to date has threatened account termination unless I don't resolve the problem in a reasonable timeframe (e.g. 24 hours). Webhosting isn't easy to monitor and therefore is susceptible to the occasional copyright breaker, but I always ensure I resolve any report within 12 hours of receiving it, usually within an hour if it's during daytime. I never host any free accounts, only paid accounts who I've verified through Maxmind and confirmed the identity of the account holder.

If you're asking for clarification on that point, or whichever point it may be, let me know what the response is. My only other alternative is buying a cheap VPN who handles DMCA policies less strictly and gives me some chance to resolve one or more incidents that may occur, but I hope I don't have to spend on a VPN.

If BT can understand that such an incident can occur more than once, but not by the same website / account holder of that website, then I'm fine. I usually get at most 3 of these types of incident in a time span of a year.

Anyway, thanks so far and let me know of any further updates as and when you have them :).

DaveA
BT Partner
BT Partner

Hi,

I better clarify the termination bit.  I think it's only if they contacted you and you didn't take any further infringements down, rather than being a blanket ban-hammer.

It's just that the first instance would be a warning, but they would get harsher as time went on, so you might have to consider stopping hosting a site if they continued to do stuff against the rules.

That's the way I read it anyway.

Glad to help though.

Dave

Ixel
Power User

Yeah, please do :).

My current policy is that an account is allowed one DMCA violation, if they do another DMCA violation later on then I terminate them. I don't allow repeat violations in order to respect the ISP/server provider, and so I don't get terminated myself because of the hosted client actions.

If BT are fine with this, the fact that I will respond to them and suspend/terminate the offending website within 12 to 24 hours (most probably sooner than that) of them reporting any incident to me without terminating me rather strictly, then all is good :).

Thanks for the updates so far and let me know.

Ixel
Power User

Hi,

Any news yet?

DaveA
BT Partner
BT Partner

Hi,

I have an answer. 🙂 Basically it is possible for them to terminate an account immediately, but they don't do so in most cases and will give time for infringements to be removed.

From what you've said I think you're policy should keep you out of bother.

For reference I was also given a link to the Terms and Conditions.

Dave