cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public address not static

Pastieb

I purchased a set of 5 ip's a while ago,i haven't had to assign any thing static until now.
I have a vpn server,which i cannot access because my public ip keeps changing.
Can i set a static address to the router and open a port to the vpn server,or do i have to configure the vpn server with the static address?
Thanks
Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

markp
Grand Guru

Hi Pastieb,

If you have a range of static IP's you are not able to assign one of them to the router, but what you can do is manually configure the router so that you can assign one of them to the VPN server then open the ports to the server for that public IP.

Another option is to downgrade to a single static IP, then reboot the router we will then auto assign the single static IP to the router, all you then need to do is open the ports to the VPN server.

I hope this helps

Markp

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

markp
Grand Guru

Hi Pastieb,

If you have a range of static IP's you are not able to assign one of them to the router, but what you can do is manually configure the router so that you can assign one of them to the VPN server then open the ports to the server for that public IP.

Another option is to downgrade to a single static IP, then reboot the router we will then auto assign the single static IP to the router, all you then need to do is open the ports to the VPN server.

I hope this helps

Markp

Pastieb

Thanks Markp
I downgraded to a single address which has fixed the issue

Alex

Pastieb

Is it possible to change the DNS settings on the router?

markp
Grand Guru

Hi Pastieb,

with BT routers it is not possible to specify DNS servers in them, they are locked down to only use BT DNS servers.

Markp

Pastieb

Thanks Markp
Il have to switch back to my old Cisco router in this case.

Alex