cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really slow broadband after line fault fix

ubergrrrl

Hiya,can someone help!

Yesterday we had 2 faults fixed on out phone line (it had been off since wednesday 27th june) and was told the broadband would come back on as normal,just to reboot router if needed.

When it came back on yesterday the data rate downstream is 288kbps and the noise margin was 29.9. Maybe we have to wait the 72 hours as i have read in other places for the speed to even its self out and for the noise margin to balance ect.

However this morning,its almost exactly the same- data rate 288kbps and noise margin 29.4

Anyone been in this situation and its sorted its self out after a few days? we seem to have gone back to dial up connection speed!

5 REPLIES 5

TimDurham75
Power User

Same comments as per this thread:

http://business.forums.bt.com/t5/Broadband-and-internet/Fantastically-slow-internet-speeds-BT2700HGV...

Wait for the 72 hour stabilisation period but then chase BT Support - is more likely to be issue with their infrastructure. 

The recent bad weather and flooding in many parts of country are likely having some impact to their infrastructure but is probably an upstream fault.

Tim

TimDurham75
Power User

Should have qualified this better - I believe the HH3 does have an issue of its own:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2012/06/bt-infinity-uk-working-hard-resolve-super-slow-fttc-bro...

but in general I believe BT themselves sometimes have some problems with their net  and that is my experience: my speed collapsed for several weeks but was not due to anything at my end.

Tim

DaveA
BT Partner
BT Partner

@ubergrrrl wrote:

Hiya,can someone help!

Yesterday we had 2 faults fixed on out phone line (it had been off since wednesday 27th june) and was told the broadband would come back on as normal,just to reboot router if needed.

When it came back on yesterday the data rate downstream is 288kbps and the noise margin was 29.9. Maybe we have to wait the 72 hours as i have read in other places for the speed to even its self out and for the noise margin to balance ect.

However this morning,its almost exactly the same- data rate 288kbps and noise margin 29.4

Anyone been in this situation and its sorted its self out after a few days? we seem to have gone back to dial up connection speed!

Hi,

What Tim said is correct.  There have been some issues due to the flooding, although things are improving slowly at least as long as the rain stays off.

As far as the issue is concerned if your connection speed went really low (135 Kb) during your fault then it will take a lot longer than normal for the system to recover, although it should still do so unless there's a problem.  The issue in this case is that the SnR is actually too high, which will knock your speed right down.  A high SnR indicates that the signal is too strong for the line, which is worse than you would think.

For reference your SnR Margin should be between 6 and 12 on a normal line.  Anything below 3 and over 20 can cause difficulties in most cases, depending on the router.

If it's still slow tomorrow I would advise contacting the Helpdesk and have then do a profile reset, which will kick off the stuck profile, and hopefully let the line stabilise properly.

Dave

Wendydmcbride
I also had a phone fault fixed yesterday (reported Monday). Broadband is not only slow, but you also need to stand next to the router to get any connection. None of my boosters can communicate with the router. Link keeps dropping and impossible to use. Might as well not have broadband, or Internet access, as it is barely useable. Any tips?

TimDurham75
Power User
I would suggest two; or three; separate possibilities here:
Your wifi connection to router should not be impacted by bad line connection issues - in general a line fault should manifest as solid internal network with unreliable upstream. So your description suggests either a dodgy router or that you have some kind of interference that is disrupting the signals.
However, regarding bad connection - if you have had a line fault then your connection profile may need reset an re calibrated upstream by BT. When a fault causes the connectivity to collapse then the system will try to compensate by reducing the speeds to try to establish reliability. Unfortunately it does not seem to "go the other way" very reliably and in my experience, post fault, it is not unusual for BT to have to reset stuff to get the speed back.

You may need assistance from REIN team or to look at changing WiFi channel or replacement of router.

My own connection infrastructure has changed since this old original post so I can no longer make specific advice on that connection combination.