cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting phishing attempts

PeterMcI

I came online today to report a phishing attempt. I am sure you can do this somewhere on the BTbusiness site but after 15 minutes looking I gave up. Please put clearly somewhere on your front page a link to the report phishing attempts. What was the attempt? Well, I tried to tell you but there was nobody home. (And by the way - why do I have to register for this site - we are already a 'signed in' selected group of your customers. Is that not good enough?)

20 REPLIES 20

James
Master User

Hello PeterMCI,

Thanks for your suggestion. Your idea of having a prominent link to report phishing atttemts on the main BT Business homepage is a good one in principle but there simply isn't room for such a link on the page. The best thing to do in the case of phishing attempts is to check our Help & support site. For example see this article about phishing.

Regarding having joint login details for all BT sites, including the Forum, this is something we are looking into and working on at the moment, but for now we do require our customers to have seperate login details as a security measure.

James

If you like a post please click on the star image on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other Forum members know by clicking on Accept as Solution on the right-hand side of the answer post. Please also consider replying to the post stating that your question has been answered successfully.
Thank you.

PeterMcI

OK James Thank you. So the message from the article is:

Please forward attemted phishing scams to abuse@btconnect.com

That takes one line and if you really cannot find room for this then you could put one word "Phishing" on the front with a link. Unitl I posted on this site I had not seen the article you referred me to. 

The phishing attempt that alarmed me was one that appeared to be from BT and although it was crude (please enter your account details etc) what surprised me was that the message purported to come from webmasters@btconnect.com

I have received this message three times and I guess lots of your other customers have too. 

Would you not have a way of picking up mass emails that appear to come from one of your own addresses, and stop them going out? I bet a few of your customers have now filled this in, giving both them and you headaches down the line.

I still think you should have a link somewhere on your front page (but perhaps you think you will be overwhelmed with referrals).

James
Master User

Hello again PeterMcI, you've started a bit of a healthy debate off in our development team! Anyway as a result of your idea we've decided to set up a much more obvious contact route for phishing attempts. I've also sent your notice of the recent attempt you received to our security team for their attention.

So you can expect an improved contact route in due course, this will most likely be through the Contact us area of our site.

Note also that on the MyOffice homepage there is a notice in the login box that says: 'Warning!BT never emails you asking for sensitive information such as account details, password etc. more information' The link leads you through to the Help & support FAQ that I mentioned in my previous note on this topic.

Many thanks for your idea!

James

Message Edited by James on 23-10-2009 03:27 PM

If you like a post please click on the star image on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other Forum members know by clicking on Accept as Solution on the right-hand side of the answer post. Please also consider replying to the post stating that your question has been answered successfully.
Thank you.

Toddzbox

I know this is an old post, but I think it is not a coincidence that the arrive on or about the time I get my phone bill.

Patricia

I've just received an email, which would seem to come from BT Connect (but, being the cynic I am, I very much doubt it!) and wanted to report it.  The only way I could find to do so, some two years after your post saying that it would be made easier, was to do a search on your site for 'reporting phishing.'  I had already been through the 'contact us' route and found nothing of any help.  I am now semi-retired so have enough time on my hands to go the extra mile.  A year ago I wouldn't have bothered.  Does customer service count for nothing with BT as well as just about every other major organisation?

Adele

I too today have had trouble finding where to report phishing to. 

I have received an email today from customercare@btconnect.com :

Dear BTConnect Customer

There is a virus alert in our network.

Prevent your email address from virus attack by updating your User I.D and Password.

Click eMail update to enter your full email address and password.

BtConnect Email Protection Team

BTConnect, U.K

The email itself does not look very professional but if you click on the email update the website is frighteningly very much like your own 😞 - I NEVER give details from links from my email I always log in direct to ensure I am on the genuine site but as the link takes you to a carbon copy of BT's home page I am sure that many people have been fooled as I am sure this email wasn't just sent to myself. 

I have another query as well - since you (BT) have updated the email system I have had problems with it, It was easy to download and update our office email addresses but since doing so we keep having a pop up security alert which is very annoying

kimura
Super User

Sorry to hear that bud. As what was suggested above, please go to the support site and there is an article about phishing. Good luck.

Bobs

I recieved this today.

Dear BT User,

From 30/11/2012, you'll be getting an even better
email service. you'll have the latest technology behind you. That includes more
protection from viruses. And you'll get a bigger mailbox too.

We are
excited to bring you BT technology, a new Email and Online Application
Experience! Powered by Google, BT gives you many benefits
including:

Over 7GB of storage space more!
An Enhanced Online Email
Interface
Online capabilities to create and edit documents, spreadsheets and
presentations
Online Calendar for easy schedule organization These features
(and more) are available to BT at no additional cost!

To re-validate
your mailbox click The link and login to your account.

http://updatewebmail.com/email.btconnect.com/exchweb/bin/auth/owalogone9f6.html

Failure
to follow these instructions will result in permanent deactivation of your
account.

Thanks for choosing our new BT business
Account.

Admin
Gareth Hughes
Managing Director  BT 
Copyright
© 2012 BT Business Services, Inc. All rights reserved.
NOTICE:Use of this
webmail service is covered by the BT By using this service you agree to the said
terms and conditions.

I replied saying I never saw this kind of statement from BT Before

"Failure to follow these instructions will result in permanent deactivation of your
account.
 "

The reply was

Dear Bob,

The email is confirm from BT business Service

WE
are excited to bring you Microsoft technology, a new Email and
Application Experience! Powered by Google, Microsoft gives
you many benefits
including:

Over 7GB of storage space more!
An Enhanced Online Email
Interface
Online capabilities to create and edit documents, spreadsheets and
presentations
Online Calendar for easy schedule organization
These
features (and more) are available to Microsoft Subscribers at no additional
cost!
Just login into your account Now: http://updatewebmail.com/email.btconnect.com/exchweb/bin/auth/owalogone9f6.html

Admin
Gareth
Hughes
Managing Director  BT
Copyright © 2012 BT Business Services, Inc.
All rights reserved.
NOTICE:Use of this webmail service is covered by the BT
By using this
service you agree to the said terms and conditions.

Not very obvious, but to me it is bogus, anyone else had this.

Arjun

Totally informative and we can also contact with the administrator of the forum..