cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming and multiples Access Points

prspcwb

Hi everyone,

I have a huge office with lots of brick walls so wireless signal is weak or null in most rooms so I am thinking use access points as repeaters so I could have a seamless roaming when users walk across the office.

I would not like connect my BT Business Hub 2700HGV wired to Access Points would be better if I could connect them wireless. As I said office has lots of thick brick walls.  

I would like know:

Can I do it using my BT Business Hub 2700HGV?

Which Access Points (repeaters) are compatible with BT Business Hub 2700HGV?

Thanks a lot,

Paulo Renato

5 REPLIES 5

JohnE
Guru

Another possiblity to consider is Powerline networking, please see:

How Power-line Networking Works

Depending on your Office layout, you may need to use this to get the signal to your Wireless Access Points.

BT Shop: Powerline

prspcwb

Hi,
Thanks for your idea. Certainly one option to consider.

But if I decide PowerLine solution I have to set up multiples AP as repeaters too, (ADSL/Router + PowerLine + Access Point)

So I believe there is no point increasing hardware and costs if I can do it only with (ADSL/router + Access Points) for a similiar or lower result.

And wireless connections can reach 54.4Mbps meanwhile PowerLine can reach only 14Mbps.

Thanks,

Paulo Renato

JohnE
Guru

If you are connecting your wireless access points to the adsl router via ethernet cables, then your plan has a chance of working reliably.  If, on the other hand, you are depending on wirless networking between your adsl router and the access points, reliability can't be guaranteed.

MHC
Guru

You say wireless access points ...

It is feasible but is not really feasible ...   Say you add four of them to the network and ther connection is 802.11g which has a maximum bandwidth of 54Mb/second.    At busy times that will be shared between teh four points - giving just 13Mbps to each and once the bidirectional capability comes in then it will drop off even more.

Similarly, if you use power ring distribution it will share te bandwidth between each of them.

Run a decent Cat5e cable from eacch WAP back to the 2700 - you will get a lot better performance.

JohnE
Guru

I concur, MHC, use ethernet connections wherever possible.