cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP confusion

qazuk

Hi i have BT broadband with a static IP 81.149.x.x and the idea is/was that this is assigned to a cisco router that a supplier can use for a vpn.

I set up the router to allow tcp etc through the hub and that worked, the only problem was that the ip address I used was not the above but one of the random public IP's that BT assign, so when I had to reboot the hub I picked up a new public IP address.

My question is how do I configure up the hub so that this static IP is visible and used for my router as the public one??

Cheers 

3 REPLIES 3

chrismcl
Power User

Hi there qazuk,

Is it a single or multiple statics you have? If it is a single then I imagine the router isn't logging in with the correct details. If multiple then you need to set up the router to recognise the statics or they won't work even though you have assigned it. If you let us know which you have we might be able to help.

Chris

qazuk

We have just one static. For testing I have a PC and the router and I assigned these 192.168.1x IP's internally and could RDP to the PC with the original public IP, after I rebooted the Hub it picked up another public IP.  The idea behind the static was that that was the IP and it remained that but I don't know how I would assign this static to the PC so that I can hit it regardless of whether I reboot the hub or not.

I want to use this static IP I have been provided, rather than keep changing IP's due to the public IP.

Does this make sense? 

markp
Grand Guru

Hi qazuk,

I would recommend you contact our helpdesk so they can look at the router to see why it is not receiving the public IP it should be. You will will the contact options for the helpdesk here :- contact options

Regards

Markp