cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to understand why I have a ADSL Line when I pay for Fiber

internetguy

Trying to understand a few things: 

Summary: 

1. I have ADSL plugged into my Router/Modem (the new Home Hub 5) why did BT install ADSL when the technology for ADSL can't even reach the quoted speeds for the Infinity 2 Package? 

2. I pay for Infinity 2, and I am only getting DSL speeds, is that normal? 

3. The speeds are the same either as Wi-Fi or a direct LAN connection to my computer so it's not a wireless card issue (brand new computer with ASUS duel band wi-fi card)

4. Is this something BT ussually resolves?

5. The Technician put a giant hole in my wall and both BT and they are blaming each other saying the other person has to fix it (while I rent, I am pretty sure I will have to fix it or get a nice fat charge from my land lord when I move) 

4 REPLIES 4

markp
Grand Guru

Hi internetguy

The Home hub 5 and the Business hub 5 have both been deisgned to work on ADSL and fibre connections, through the same ADSL port on the back of the hub to simplify connection setup there is just 1 type of cable to go between the phone socket and the hub.

Have you been in contact with the helpdesk tro get them to test the speed of your line?

As for the hole, if it was created by the BT Openreach Engineer I would of thought that he would need to fill it up afterwords, you would need to contact  Openreach to get that checked out for definite.

Mark

mhcwebdesign
Power User

internetguy

It looks like you were clearly sold a wrong product by BT. If you ordered a fibre broadband product (which BT actually offers in some areas, see e.g. BT Infinity Option 3 or 4), yet it delivered you a DSL product, then you could cancel your contract, or file an official complaint.

markp

With all due respect, aren't you misleading this customer here? The Business hub 5 does not support a fibre line, does it? It is only a kind of a DSL modem, expected to be hooked up to a twisted-pair copper line, not a fibre line?

markp
Grand Guru

Hi mhcwebdesign

The business hub5 like the Hub 3 has 2 ports one marked ADSL for standard broadband and for our current fibre offering which is Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC).  They also have a red WAN port for Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) which is available on demand in some areas/exchanges it is only getting trialed just now.

Mark

mhcwebdesign
Power User

In that case your product description at http://www.btplc.com/BTToday/NewsList/BTlaunchesBusinessHub5/index.htm needs some serious corrections because it gives the impression there that it is more like a VDSL modem, and not a fibre-optic modem. For example, if used on a fibre broadband (not twisted-pair copper) line, what kind of battery backup does it use in case of a power failure?