cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploading a pdf file for download by customers

lucy brooks

I've been trying to place a pdf file onto my website so that customers can download it - it's a checklist.

I've been unable to find the option I need to do this on the Easysite wizard.  Can anybody throw any light?

Lucy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chantale
Master User

Hi Lucy

I have logged into your account and seen the .pdf file. It was anmed Checklist.pdf and not checklist.pdf. I renamed it from Checklist.pdf to checklist.pdf and now when going to www.lucybrooks.org.uk/checklist.pdf, it works fine. 

:smileyhappy:

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

dave
Guru

EasySiteWizard doesn't have this option directly so here is the quickest and easist way to do it:

IN website centre click on Website Management > File Manager to open the file manager tool

In the left column (Source Dir) double click on <dir>public to open the public folder.

Click the browse button to find the filw on your PC and then click on upload to send the file to the public folder.

Your PDF document should now be available in the format http://www.yourdomain.com/filename.pdf

Now all you need to do is go into EasySiteWizard and create a hyperlink to the address of the file.

lucy brooks

Dear Dave

Thank you very much for your description.  I've found the File Manager and uploaded my pdf file.

But I cannot make the link work in the Wizard

I'm typing into the URL box the full and correct URL, including the pdf.  But on checking it just goes to a "cannot find the page"

So what am I doing wrong here.  I'm so nearly there, but can't quite get across the finishing line.

Lucy

dave
Guru

If you try typing the URL into the browser address bar, does it display the file?

Please provide the URL that you are using and we will see if it works for us.

Chantale
Master User

hi

as dave said, provide us the URL to see if we are able to see the pdf file.

lucy brooks

Dear Dave (and Chantale)

Sorry for the delay in answering - I had a lot of work today.

If I type the URL www.lucybrooks.org.uk/checklist.pdf nothing happens.

I uploaded the pdf into the public directory as you instructed and have just checked that this happened OK and is listed.

It is listed OK

Then I went to the Easy Wizard (which I find very clunky to work in, but that's another story) and created a link on the

page called Checklist (it's in the menu bar at the side).

Using the link facility, I typed the URL (as above) into the Link properties box (two boxes were offered, a URL and a page)

I left the page blank and typed the link, carefully so as not to make a mistake.

I still cannot get it to work.

I much appreciate your offer to take a look.

I'd very much like to make my "Terms" page into a PDF download as well, as they are rather long for a web page

Any advice appreciated.  BUt I haven't uploaded that pdf yet - I want to make a change or two first.

Lucy

dave
Guru

If the file is definately showing in the public directory, a common reason why it is not working is the casing of the filename. The web server is case sensitive so CHECKLIST.pdf and checklist.pdf are not the same thing.

If the file is in uppercase, it will have to be uppercase in your link.

Another thing to check for is that you have put the file directly into the public directory and not into a subdirectory. If it has gone into a subdirectory of public, then this subdirecotry will have to be referenced in the URL eg www.lucybrooks.org.uk/subdirectory/checklist.pdf

Chantale
Master User

Hi Lucy

I have logged into your account and seen the .pdf file. It was anmed Checklist.pdf and not checklist.pdf. I renamed it from Checklist.pdf to checklist.pdf and now when going to www.lucybrooks.org.uk/checklist.pdf, it works fine. 

:smileyhappy:

lucy brooks

Thank you Chantale.  I'm sorry I haven't been back to you.  I've been away for a few days due to sickness in the family.  I''ve just looked and it works fine

and that's the answer.

Case sensitive.  Many thanks

Lucy