cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP and Faxing

kavco2994
I'd be grateful if someone could explain (in words of few syllables) how we can manage to send and receive faxes via a VOIP line?  We're currently looking to take up VOIP but I can't see how faxing will work and whilst I would love it if we could do without a fax machine and just use email, I just can't train the clients!!!

Does anyone perhaps know of any inexpensive software aimed at small businesses that can identify the fax being sent and convert it to an email????

Many thanks
4 REPLIES 4

Saracen

Faxing over Voip can present some challenges which require increasing the bandwidth (G711 codec). This is configurable on routers supplied as part of the BT's Broadband Voice service. The transmission speed of the Fax is also a critical factor and this needs to be slowed to a speed of no more than 9600 bauds. The configuration of the fax machine will be dependent upon the manufacturer’s own set up of the machine, so having the fax user manual to hand when setting up the service is often an essential part of the process.

As you can see, it is certainly possible to use Voip to send and receive Fax's but as you rightly suggest using a Fax to email service seems by far the simplest way forward.

The good news on this front is BT is likely to be making an announcement in the next few weeks about this type of service. We will keep you posted.  

BernardP
Hey!

I set my fax machine up using Voipmechanic

Nuncamas
Hi kavco2994,

I was looking at this issue today and I found an FAQ posted on this very topic here.

How do I configure my fax machine for use with my VoIP line?

Hope it helps

Message Edited by Nuncamas on 11-24-2007 11:50 AM
Message Edited by Anna on 03-02-2009 03:03 PM

minicheddar
Super User
BT customers can now sign up to send faxes via their email with BT PC Fax.
Message Edited by James on 27-02-2009 12:08 PM