cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my Home Hub 3a not let me connect to my broadband service

Russdmc
Hi,

I have a business line installed at my home with a BT teleworker Max service. I haven't used it for ages as it was painfully slow and had a dodgy Voyager router (which in my mind was next to useless) - My company have recently had the line increased from a 20CN to a 21CN network and the promise it should work a little better. I have new Home Hub 3a and I attermpted to install and connect yesterday.

When I enter my company's login id (mxtwuk/homeadsl^itservices.mycompaniesname.com) and password, the hub repeatedly comes up with an error along the lines of: "The broadband user name that youve entered is either incorrect or not supported by your Home Hub. Please check your user name and try again".

I've tried to check the advance settings and of the following instructions can only find reference to PPPoA:

PPPoA, also referred to as RFC 2364 (Do not use PPPoE - you will be unable to connect as this protocol is for use in the )
PVC settings - Connection settings required for ADSL in the (PPPoA)
* VPI: 0
* VCI: 38
Encapsulation Mode:
* VC MUX (Also referred to as VC Multiplexed or null)

Do these additional settings matter on PPPoA is selected?
This has worked previosuly with the Voyager (albeit dropping wireless every few minutes) and is definately plugged into the ADSL socket rather than the infinety one. Two blue lights with a steady red against broadband. Any ideas or suggestions please - as I'm keen to use it rather than keep using my privately funded home broadband for business use!

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Russdmc

Hi Dan,

I set a hare running on another forum and apparently the Home Hub is locked to just BT and Plus net accounts.  The steady red LED suggests connection is there but user detail failed to authenticate.  I too thought the username to be a little dubious so confirmed it with my firm.  They confirmed it to be right......

It seems that I have to either get an alternate router / wireless hub or crack the HH3........ which makes me a little nervous if I'm honest.  So my firm have ordered a Thompson 585 from BT - so we'll see how that goes once it arrives.  Shame though, I like the look of the HH3 and the fact you can connect USB devices to it (making them available on the netword).

Thanks for your input and I'll confirm whether the funky user ID with its circumflex and slahes works.

Russ

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

DanSmith87

Home Hubs can be a bit iffy when it comes to putting in third-party details, but they should work; I've seen them used on many different connections, including BT Business lines, which also require user details.

I do have a question mark over the username, though; I've never seen one with either a '/' or '^' in the username. It's possible that they're both their, but I do wonder if at least the '^' should be an '@', as these are common across service providers as Network IDs, not just in E-Mail addresses.

If this is the correct address, then I can only suggest that the Home Hub doesn't support the formatting of it.

If you're still with BT Business, I'd suggest that your username would be something like A123456@hg99@btclick.com , and that username may be for a VPN? I'm just guessing at this point, though.

Russdmc

Hi Dan,

I set a hare running on another forum and apparently the Home Hub is locked to just BT and Plus net accounts.  The steady red LED suggests connection is there but user detail failed to authenticate.  I too thought the username to be a little dubious so confirmed it with my firm.  They confirmed it to be right......

It seems that I have to either get an alternate router / wireless hub or crack the HH3........ which makes me a little nervous if I'm honest.  So my firm have ordered a Thompson 585 from BT - so we'll see how that goes once it arrives.  Shame though, I like the look of the HH3 and the fact you can connect USB devices to it (making them available on the netword).

Thanks for your input and I'll confirm whether the funky user ID with its circumflex and slahes works.

Russ

Russdmc

Right - Thompson (TG582n) arrived from BT.

I followed the supplied setup instructions and input the spurious looking UserID and it worked!  The following is an extract from the instructions - seems the / and ^ are valid.

Thanks Once again for your help!

BT USERNAME.JPG