cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

outlook.com Vs. btconnect(365)

Corneloues

Before I realised btconnect was being migrated to Microsoft's cloud I was looking at moving to the FREE outlook.com service that gives me:

• "limitless" storage
  • Server based Contacts and Calendar
  • SkyDrive and Office web Apps
  • Import from multiple POP3 accounts
  • ActiveSync to Office 2013
  • Access to my e-mail from iOS and Android

from a single remotely sync'd mailbox.

The plan was to create an @outlook.com account for each of my @btconnect.com accounts and POP3 the mail over thus removing the need for me to maintain my own exchange server.

However, having just spoken to the help desk (via chat) I have been told that once my @btconnect.com account has been migrated, and because my @btconnect.com and @domain.co.uk adresses will all be on the same cloud as the @outlook.com accounts I cannot do any of the above (not sure about SkyDrive).

This has scuppered my plans somewhat. I do have choices though:

• Leave as is and retain my exchange server
  • Upgrade to premium accounts
  • Migrate to Google Business Apps and repoint the MX record

The last option is sounding the most tempting as I will get the main thing I want which is a cloud based ActiveSync email solution - and for less than 10 accounts, the service is FREE!

Does anybody have any experience with GBA?

Cheers,

Roy

4 REPLIES 4

Stephenc
Master User

Hi Corneloues,

I haven't tested it to be honest, but importing multiple pop3 accounts works between btconnect accounts and hotmail accounts to btconnect acccounts.  I don't imagine there would be an issue using the pop3 connected account methods on outlook.com, unfortunately I don't currently have an outlook.com account to test this with though.

Let me know if you do get a chance to test this, if I come accross one I'll post the results up here.

Thanks,

Steve

Corneloues

Steve,

If you have a 365 hosted @btconnect.com lite account then the process is simple. Simply go to www.outlook.com and sign up creating a new @outlook.com address.

Once logged in you'll either get a wizard pop up to guide you through adding POP3 accounts or you can access "More E-Mail Settings" from the settings menu - top right-hand side - the cog icon.

If you can successfully add @btconnect.com via POP3 I would be very interested to know.

Especially now that I have found out the Google have removed their FREE < 10 people version!

Cheers,

Roy

Stephenc
Master User

Hi Roy,

That works fine, the only thing worth noting is if you connect the btconnect address to the outlook one and then want to send from the btconnect address.

The from field will show something like, "display name via outlook.com"

If you click on this it will show the btconnect address via outlook.com

Thanks,

Steve

Corneloues

Steve,

Thanks. So Dennis on the livechat got it wrong...

I'll stick with the BT e-mail solution for now and see what happens after the upgrade in January. I have another solution as a backup - I can simply reroute the MX record to another server, bypass BT's email hosting and then just get outlook.com to pick up the POP3 mail from there.

Will keep people posted.

Cheers,

Roy