cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

900mb FTTP Static IP / SmartHub - FWL Dropped packet from LAN

d0z3y

Hi,

I have an Opnsense firewall connected to my BT Smarthub and I am seeing a lot of dropped packets in the Smarthub logs  from servers on my LAN.  I am not sure whether it is related, but the web interface to the smarthub is very slow.  Makes me feel like the cpu is overloaded!

As possible solutions I was considering:
- Replacing the Smart Hub completely with an alternative and was looking for recommendations
- Putting the Smart Hub into bridge mode and managing firewall, DHCP etc via Opnsense
- Connecting the Opnsense box directly to the ONT, in which case I was looking for any guides on how to do so.  I have also read  that I need my unique username / pw rather than the generic bt one - where do I find this?

I would experiment in order to find the best solution but can't really afford much downtime.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

d0z3y

To answer my own question.  I have connected my opnsense server directly to the ONT.  I messaged a bt forum admin who called me back, verified who I am and then gave me my username and password.  Opnsense was easy to configure, just set WAN to ppoe and entered the above username and password.  No other settings needed.  It's early days but at the moment it is all working as least as well as the smart hub.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

d0z3y

To answer my own question.  I have connected my opnsense server directly to the ONT.  I messaged a bt forum admin who called me back, verified who I am and then gave me my username and password.  Opnsense was easy to configure, just set WAN to ppoe and entered the above username and password.  No other settings needed.  It's early days but at the moment it is all working as least as well as the smart hub.