cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming -PS5 FTTP Lagging --poor download speeds

TAP

I had a FTTP install  about 3 weeks ago (150 /30 package )  but did not go well but after numerous engineer visits the broadband side of things is working now but phone line isn't.

Smarthub 2 installed in gaming room and devices connected via etherent.No issue with the Xbox one X or laptops /phones..just the PS5 which is quite laggy and only reporting via built in PS5  speed test  approx 80/20 instead of 150/30 like the other devices.

The etherent cables used are new cat 7 cables from amazon.Tried using Wi-Fi as same room but same speed 80/20. Any ideas why the PS5 is reporting such low figures and lagging? Would a new Wi-Fi 6 router help? If so open to suggestions up to £200.Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6

kelper
Guru

Is this a business account?

TAP

Yes BT Business FTTP product.

kelper
Guru

Maybe do a Google search for BT Smart hub ps5 settings.  Have you set up port-forwarding?

TAP

Not set up port forwarding as never had any issues before but will look into that but great timing as Sony released an update for the PS5 today and the first thing i checked was the  built in speed test in settings and happy to report issue seems to be solved. It is now reporting the correct download and upload figures..Happy days..will let my son  test it later to see if still lagging , if so may invest in another router compatible with the PS5 or look into the port - forwarding option as currently on standard Type 2 NAT

rachelgomez123
Power User

Follow these troubleshooting steps, then check to see if your Wi-Fi connection improves.

Reboot the console. If your Wi-Fi problems appeared suddenly while using your PS5, turn off the console, then turn it back on. Make sure you completely power down the PS5; don't put the console into Rest Mode.

Restart your modem and router. If you're having trouble with the Wi-Fi on your other devices, rebooting your router and modem is often the easiest fix. If that doesn't work, then you need to troubleshoot your wireless connection.

Move the PS5 and the router closer together. The Wi-Fi signal gets weaker as you move further away from the router, especially if you have thick walls. Keep your PS5 in the same room as your router if possible, or consider purchasing a Wi-Fi extender.

Use Sony's Fix and Connect tool. Select My online experience is poor and answer the questions to diagnose the cause of the issue and get recommendations to improve your connection.

Change the PS5 DNS settings. Changing a device's default DNS settings can sometimes fix connectivity issues and improve download speeds. Set your primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 and the secondary DNS to 8.8.4.4.

Optimize your Wi-Fi setup. Even if you're paying for a top-tier internet package, you can't take full advantage of it without the right equipment. Check with your ISP to find out what type of router and modem they recommend for your plan.

This may help you,

Rachel Gomez

Klaizz

I have the exact same thing and have never been able to fix it.