cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 - no DNS servers available.

kelper
Guru

I have a public IPv6 address, starting 2a00, but no DNS is available.  Is this a fault or is IPv6 not available with BTB Smart Hub 1?

7 REPLIES 7

BethM
Administrator
Administrator

Hi kelper

IPv6 should work with the BTB Smart Hub 1. If you  manually change the DNS in the router settings to one of Google's (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4) does this work for you? It should automatically provide you one but if it's not working, we'd recommend power cycling the router, and then trying the Google DNS servers. If these still don't work, please let me know. 

^BethM

kelper
Guru

Thanks.  I have set both DNS to Google ones as suggested and then rebooted the Smarthub 1

But, on the IPv6 page it still shows DNS is 'not available'.

I use Thinkbroadband's BQM and it successfully pings both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.

kelper_0-1661253585152.png

kelper
Guru

In Windows 11 I have configured Google's IPv6 DNS servers in my wifi adapter and that gives me access to IPv6 on my laptop!  But the hub still says DNS not availabe.

BethM
Administrator
Administrator

Hi kelper

So I've just spoken to our Technical team to clarify - you have your IPv6 address but the actual translation from IP to URL and vice versa is done via our IPv4 DNS servers. So IPv6 is available but it still uses IPv4 for DNS specifically. 

^BethM

kelper
Guru

Thanks.  I have reset everything to how it was before and I still have a working IPv6 connection according to testmyipv6.com

The adapter settings in Win 11 are also set to automatic for DNS.  My Android phone is also able to access IPv6 addresses.  

kelper
Guru

I have set Google's IPv6 DNS servers in my Wifi adapter settings again as I lost IPv6 connectivity on my Win 11 laptop AND Android phone.

How can changing my laptop's wifi adapter settings enable Ipv6 access on my phone?

rachelgomez123
Power User

Here are tips for troubleshooting routers.
Connect to the Ethernet. To determine if a router is the problem, switch to a cabled connection. 
Restart the Router. Resetting a router may help resolve a DNS issue. 
Update Router. Check for router updates. 
Reset you Router to Default Settings.

This may help you,

Rachel Gomez