cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup guide for BTnet wires only leased line

gevans851

I have a new wires only leased line from BTnet that I need to setup. This is a 1GBps leased line fibre product via an ADVA with fibre LC interface, it is not Broadband FTTP/FTTC. BTnet have provided me a usable IP range  (its /29, so 6 usable IPs) and a 'next hop' address which is off subnet. 

On wires only BT provide no further tech details on the protocol or settings to use for connecting, and both the Cisco Meraki MX appliance and Juniper router that I want to use don't have such a concept as next hop, only an IP/subnet and default gateway, or a PPPoE connection - but a default gateway must be on subnet (one of my IP range) so clearly the setup needs to be something else?

I have read a forum that suggested that the main connection is a PtP connection to the next hop then the subnet is roouted over this, but I would expect BTnet to specify if it was a PtP and need the settings for a PtP or PPPoE connection which according to BTnet support "you just need the next hop". not very helpful. 

I have another line where I gave up with this and asked BT do the routing for my subnet so I have one less usable address but the extra one becomes the default gateway for the connection and all is well. (in IPv4 atleast). This works brilliantly as I don't need the full subnet anyway, However I would rather set it up however its supposed to be set up out of the box.

Does anyone know how this subnet and 'next hop' ip are supposed to be used in any router outside of Cisco. I can map settings from one router brand to any other.

2 REPLIES 2

SamG
Administrator
Administrator

Hi gevans851,

Thanks for your post. 

I've reached out to a colleague in our BT Net team to see if they can help with this and I'll let you know once I hear back.

^SamG

Valentinaberg

@SamG wrote:

Hi gevans851,

my account access

Thanks for your post. 

I've reached out to a colleague in our BT Net team to see if they can help with this and I'll let you know once I hear back.

^SamG

With a BTNet product I would expect BT to be installing a managed Cisco router that will be connected to the ADVA FSP150CP unit.

BTNet products are 98% of the time a managed service unless you specify wires only which normally means operating a BGP peering with BT.

Basically you should be expecting an engineer + Cisco router at some point, what have BT actually told you?

Once the Router is commisioned then you're correct you'll need to source a firewall and have that configured.

Thanks, !!