cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BTConnect email address Outlook error, Your account has been locked

PARTINGTONM

Hi, I've been using a BTConnect email address for over 20 years but today I've been getting error message "Your account has been locked. Contact your support person to unlock it, then try again."

The account was supplied by my previous employer but it was only this problem that highlighted to me that it is still linked to their BT account.

I can access "secure.business.bt.com" OK via the BTConnect address but I cannot admin the email from there (as I used to many years ago).

Anybody had any success using the BT "chat" to get a BTConnect outlook account unlocked?

I tried but as I cannot give the account details of my previous employer it was a painful hour.  I  finally managed to get my "secure.business.bt.com" account password reset (not what I asked for) but no change to outlook.

Anyone got any suggestions?  Thanks.

FYI the account was hacked last month but luckily I was alerted by the Amazon app the day it happened so I immediately changed the password and all was well until this week but now it is blocked and I cannot reset the password.  Last week hackers were still trying to brute force a login from all over the world.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SamG
Administrator
Administrator

Hi PARTINGTONM,

As long as your old employer still has an active business broadband with us the BTConnect address should still be active.

Please send me a DM by heading to my profile and hitting "Send a Message". I'll need to take some account information in order to look further into this.

Thanks,

^SamG

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

kelper
Guru

Perhaps your former employer has closed the account? 

PARTINGTONM

Hi kelper, I don't believe it has been closed as my BT Business account login is still active.  Also the email login still looks to work with the new password (I get different error messages with the wrong password) but it then says it's locked.  Also on the BT App I can see my previous employer's broadband connections so their account is still open.

kelper
Guru

I'm a bit puzzled that you use an account that you are not paying for.  Surely, it would be more honourable to discuss the situation with your former employer?

PARTINGTONM

I don't believe I'm using any services I'm not paying for as I changed my BT line to paying from my own BT broadband over 10 years ago and there is no charge for these email addresses.

These BTConnect email accounts are a legacy from 20 years ago and it was only this problem that highlighted to me that it was actually a business account linked to my old employer and now not the same as my btinternet email account.  The webmail looks the same as my Outlook account I got with my new Windows laptop.

The BTConnect email service has been updated a few times since I have used it and my BT account shows no info of anyone but me being the owner.  Only the BT app the BT chat person told me to download has any info of another party.

Unfortunately my previous employer's business has recently been sold and almost all of the rest of us IT employee's have been let go and I cannot find anyone who has any knowledge of these BTConnect accounts.  I have two but only one has been locked.

I see numerous other BTConnect email users describing login problems here so I'm hoping one of those or a BT moderator can help me find someone to help me unlock this account so I can transfer the contents to my btinternet account.

Thanks

SamG
Administrator
Administrator

Hi PARTINGTONM,

As long as your old employer still has an active business broadband with us the BTConnect address should still be active.

Please send me a DM by heading to my profile and hitting "Send a Message". I'll need to take some account information in order to look further into this.

Thanks,

^SamG

petergroft
Power User

To unblock your account, you'll need to reset your password. Enter the email address of the blocked account, then enter the characters you see on your screen and select Next. Enter the code generated by your authenticator app or select Use a different verification option to get a text message.

Greetings,

Peter

PARTINGTONM

Thanks Peter but that solution did not work for this example as that MS email account unlock tool gives the same “your account  is locked contact your administrator” error message.  

SamG was able to contact someone to unblock the email part and give me a temporary password so then the BT reset tool worked. 

Thanks

Steveg

Good morning.

I've a similar issue as above.

My BTConnect account originally comes from a broadband connection I was provided by my employer. Since its been working fine.

However, I'm in the process of moving email top a new phone. The setup on the new outlook app doesn't authenticate, and either gives user/password incorrect. (words to that effect). Resetting the password only gives me the option to send the code to the email address I'm trying to reset...

However, the email i'm trying to migrate still works fine on my old phone, so I can get the code, but when I try and log in, the account is locked, as, presumably the working device is trying to authenticate and causes the lockout.

Unless someone has work around, I need the password setting to a known value, to circumvent the lockout. One I have a password set to a known value I can  take the working phone of air to prevent lockouts.

I cant get in from a Widows 11 browser either.  Same error messages incorrect credentials/account locked.

I'd appreciate some advice - Thanks - Steve

Steveg

Anyone help me with this? please. BT Business  wont/can't help.