Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft’s Changes to applications using Basic Authentication

VickyK
Administrator
Administrator

What’s changed? 

Basic authentication capability has been removed by Microsoft, our email supplier, and many others in the email industry.  

Why are these changes happening? 

Basic Authentication makes it easier for attackers to capture user credentials which can put users at risk. 

It’s an outdated industry standard, and the threats posed by it continue to increase. 

Microsoft’s decision means that customers will likely move from apps that use Basic Authentication to apps that use Modern Authentication to make their accounts more secure. 

What does this mean for me? 

This changes the way you’ll be able to access your emails. If you use a Mail Client like Outlook, Thunderbird or MacMail etc, this means you’ll no longer be able to send or receive emails this way.  

You can still access your emails via a browser on a laptop, Mac or PC or via the Outlook App on tablets and mobiles.

What does browser based access mean ?

Outlook Web Access is a fantastic, easy and agile way to access email. It;

• Works from any (connected) PC or mobile device anywhere - never be without access to your mailbox again.
  • Contains the most common and up to date mail client features – with the improved security of modern authentication.
  • Looks and feels just like a mail client.
  • Has easy to use junk filtering (block/whitelist senders and domains).
  • Contains customisable themes to suit your style and mood.
  • Even allows you to;
    • create sub folders
    • save contacts
    • add to calendars
    • create and use email signatures
    • setup mail forwarding
    • create user groups
    • activate out of office auto replies

Not to mention signing in is really simple, and many common devices will remember your login details and sign in for you.

You can access your email at www.office.com or via business.bt.com if you prefer.

Here are some relevant links which may help:

How do I move my mailbox from BT Business to another provider? | BT Business

How to download & backup emails from Outlook | BT Business

Setting up Office 365 Business Essentials with a new domain | BT Business

^VickyK

26 REPLIES 26

kelper
Guru

can you buy more storage?

yvonnewilding

How do I find my profiles on the desk top in order to restore them ???

DPercival61

Hi Vicky,

I'm not impressed. I've wanted BT to support newer protocols and security (e.g. IMAP etc.) for decades. However, not at the expense of ditching Outlook.

The only reason I stuck with BT was because my btconnect email address was used by so many people. For reasons beyond the scope of this chat I can't always work with web browser or phone apps for email so forcing me to use those is not an option.

Unless you can update the security to allow Outlook or other clients to work (I don't care if I have to switch to IMAP) then there's no point in staying with a btconnect email address. If there's no point in staying with the email address then there's little point in staying with BT.

In other words, when this goes ahead unless there is a method of continuing to use Outlook on a PC (not a web based client) I will be forced to transfer all the emails to a different email address and will then leave BT (I can get better deals elsewhere).

Given the horrendous issues I've had with BT in the past this is the last straw...

Regards

Derek

MrG

Hi Martyn, from using MS365 products myself, if you are a charity you can contact MS direct via their website and they will provide you 25 Free Non-Profit Standard (sometimes Premium) licences as long as you can provide a charity number. Takes about a week for MS to verify and provide an admin login to your newly provided account/licences. Nonprofit offers (microsoft.com)

mike_coreit

I'm sure it's just a simple setting BT have to choose to allow IMAP or Exchange, even with the Modern Authentication requirements, can someone from BT explain the reasoning why this is not technically possible?

was

In other words, when this goes ahead unless there is a method of continuing to use Outlook on a PC (not a web based client) I will be forced to transfer all the emails to a different email address and will then leave BT (I can get better deals elsewhere).

Couldn't agree more. This is absolutely essential for, I suspect, a significant number of UK businesses as  changing email addresses used by a large number of customers is by no means a trivial exercise!

jasee2

Bt Exchange Servers just need to support outh2, which is supported by Thunderbird. Google gmail servers also support outh2 so I've smoothly moved from pop3 to outh2 for gmail

jasee2

Can't help with your problem, I'm afraid, small business customers are all in the same boat.

It's possible that BT just didn't want to invest in 'new' mail servers (as Microsoft suggest)  going from Exchange 2013 to Exchange 2019 first and then use Exchange 2019 to move mailboxes to Microsoft 365