cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Email provider- intermittently locked out of emails

minny

So I am encountering a problem, and I wanted to ask here if anyone could help me with a solution for it.

My parents have an email account through their ISP (in a rural area). They keep getting locked out temporarily. After 3 calls to said ISP (first two times they gave me the run around), they tell me it's because a remote user is trying to log in and keeps failing, which then locks their account. So their access is spotty, and someone is actively trying to get into their mail.

The only option they are giving us is that they will forward the emails to another account, which we would prefer not to happen a) because they have been using that email for over a decade, and b) because it would still have people trying to access those forwarded messages.

I spoke to another friend who is a tech support lead (not for that company), and he said that (assuming their email server is behind a firewall), they should be able to block the IP address of this malicious attacker and prevent them from trying to login in the future, solving our problem. I spoke to them, and they claim (while the server is protected by multiple firewalls), that they simply cannot do this. They did not give me a reason why.

Is there anything else you can think of that may help prevent these attacks? Is my friend's solution workable? How would you try to communicate to them?

I'm sorry, I am sort of at my wits end.

1 REPLY 1

kelper
Guru

Are your parents Business customers with a BT Business account?  If not, you are really asking the wrong people.

Who is this ISP provider?