cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware brand limitations

EmmaMilton

We have just had fibre installed and so new hub and need to connect our phone.

After spending a long time being pushed from person to person it turns out there are limitations on hardware for business. The handset has to be Cisco or Yealink.

This was not communicated at order or when the engineer installed the fibre and he even plugged the existing phone in and said that should work soon.

Why are there limitations? Seems even residential customers are forced to buy an adapter to use their existing handset.

I have purchased a Cisco phone but is now asking for activation code and the app is out of date saying the service is due to be installed with the date being last week. Had it verbally confirmed if we plug in a Cisco or Yealink handset it would work and wouldn't need to call them again.

Seems that BT are trying to force customers to update hardware or purchase more products from them.

Anyone have an idea what the activation code is so we can actually have the service we pay for.

4 REPLIES 4

bob1075

Hello Emma

Firstly I don't work for BT (I am trying to be helpful so this should differentiate me 🙂 ). Looking at the BT helpfiles you should be able to  download an app on a smart phone to be able to take and make your calls on (bypassing the need for a physical phone ). See below:

Using your Cloud Voice Express phone service

Cloud Voice Express is a digital line that works over the internet and gives you these great new features:

• Make and receive calls from your business number on the go – using the Cloud Voice Express app.
  • Cut down on cold callers – block calls from withheld and specific nuisance numbers.
  • Set missed calls to divert to another number – so someone else can answer if you can't.
  • Easily manage features online through My Account.
  • Includes a new business phone .
  • Includes unlimited calls to UK landlines and mobiles (depending on your package).

Kind regards

Ian

bob1075

Hello Emma

Also residential customers have a router supplied which has two POT (Plain ordinary telephone) ports on the back of the router to connect two analogue telephones directly to the router (I have no clue apart from saving cost why BT havent done this also on the business router). If the residential customer wants the phone in a different room to the router then they will supply a separate device to allow you to connect a phone in a different room (has to be within the reach of the wireless signal for it to work).

Kind regards

Ian

UF

Hi Ian, I don't work for BT either.  I use the Cloud Voice Express app and its terrible. People cannot hear me when they phone me. Calls never connect. If they do the voice is so quiet you can hardly hear the call. The whole thing relies on your internet  and wifi signal and as that is not steady the service dips in and out. We have lost multiple calls since we were forced into the new app - and we purchased the actual phone from BT.  

AdamC
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Ian,

If you need support with this please message me privately and I can take your business details and support.

Thank you

Adam