cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Mod - who owns this problem?

Seraphsailor
Grand Master

This is with regard to the Openzone service at Royal Clarence Marina; PO12 1AX

Openreach have, over a couple of days last week, replaced the cabling specific to the marina office telephone system. In doing so they have disconnected the cabling for the Openzone service and it is "dead". (The router works but does not deliver an IP address for a successful service connection). The marina telephone system and the Openzone service are on separate lines.

I have both emailed and spoken to Openzone support and been advised to contact Business support who will want to know the telephone number associated with the Openzone line - I have no idea what the number is and neither do the marina staff - why should they need to know the number for an Openzone service??

The Marina staff have spoken to BT on both Thurday and Friday (for over 3 hours on Friday) being pushed from one department to another without any specific answers, and no commitment from any BT Department to own the responsibility to fix.

The exact problem is that the OpenZone router RJ12/RJ45 LAN cable is plugged into a new wall socket fitted by Openreach. This is the cable and socket going out to the BT line delivering the Openzone service.

THERE ARE NO WIRES CONNECTED IN THE SOCKET to the outside world.; and BT don't believe us.

The fix is to look up the Openreach job number for the marina telephone work - reopen the job and get Openreach back into the marina to connect whatever wires they have disconnected to re-establish the service; and quickly; they broke it so they should fix it - and as a priority.

Why is it never easy dealing with BT for issue/problem resolution? - disjointed Departments where no one talks to each other or is prepared to take ownership  or rsponsibility; and in some instances don't even recognise or want to acknowledge that there is a problem.

So Mods, Openzone support say it's nothing to do with them as  it's a Business Line fault; so given these circumstances who should own this problem which BT have created?

Hoping you can advise quickly; no action to my and the marina calls into BT on Monday morning and I will have no option bur to call Eleanor in Executive Level Complaints

24 REPLIES 24

spank
Grand Guru

I have to say your really barking up the wrong tree here.  This is a broadband forum.  You are complaining about a problem with your wall socket not being wired correctly/at all, which is nothing to do with broadband/openzone/wireless/routers, you said it yourself in response to dave's first question.

So the only thing you can do is call 154 and rant at them, no one here can help you.

Seraphsailor
Grand Master

Spank should wake up and smell the coffee, ,this forum is not just a Broadband Forum; it is stated to be

Broadband and internet

For posts about BT Broadband, wi-fi and wireless access, dial-up, routers, networks & modems, dynamic and static IP addresses, Openzone...

I am a BT Business Customer - So which forum should I post in then??????
Fiona, neither I or the marina staff know the account number or the telephone number associated with the line. BT manage and deliver the service; the marina office just hosts the associated equipment.
Still running around in circles though; having been told by BT it's not anOpenzone problem but a Business line issue and going down that path it's now back with the Openzone Mgt Team in Exeter to "assess" the problem. I have asked this office to provide the account/telephone number to assist in any future fault reporting.
No answer on the Executive Level Complaints number
What is there to assess? there aint no hardwires connected in the newly fitted RJ45 socket that connect to the associated junction box and then to the Openzone telephone line; raise the jobsheet and fix it

dave
Guru

Ultimately though, as you have already stated a telephone line issue. The fact that you have no internet is obviously directly caused by this, but this is not the primary issue.

I suspect this is why you have been passed around different departments within BT, as each department will deal with different things (some lines, some broadband, some openzone, etc) and if you confuse the matter by saying you have no openzone to the line faults foe example, then they will possibly pass you on.

If you can get hold of the account number, or landline phone number you should be able to report this to 154 as a telephone line fault.

Seraphsailor
Grand Master

Hi Dave,

frustrating to say the least;

Speak to 0800 800 154 yesterday and they call me back saying Engineering will be with you by 6:00pm - and no show

Call 0800 800 154 this morning to say Engineers must be runing late- can u give me revised ETA and the response is "nothing to do with us" and  they try to pass me on and they drop the line.

Went to local Openreach depot this mornng - it's 2 minutes away - to see if they can advise or assist; no chance.

'twixt me and the marina maybe 6 to 7 hours on the phone going round in circles.

When it works it's good; when it needs fixing, and in this instance, a selfmade "fault" by BT; they are CARP. BT lack ownership and responsibilty. I might just as well call Martlesham Design and Development and report the problem - they might be more helpfull than BT support centres!

When I first reported this to the Openzone Help Desk, and followed it up with an email to the associated support centres, Openzone said it was a Business line issue- so why, and we're into 4 working days now, am I told it's now with Openzone Mgt in Exeter (hello Dan and Sarah if you are reading this!) for "evalution"

Just fix the line! (it needs about a foot of four/five core cable connected between the RJ45 socket to the junction box)  and which wasn't broken before Openreach did some work here last week

Fiona
Grand Guru

Hi Seraphsailor,

From what you are saying it sounds like the Marina is an Openzone Partner. Openzone have many different ways in offering their service. The majority of people on this board have BT Business Broadband which they use with a Business hub, and they allow the hub to become an Openzone Hotspot. This means that people can utilize the hub via an openzone voucher or user details to access the internet. If this is your setup you would have a BT Business broadband account, broadband connection and would contact technical support and use this board. BT Business Broadband customers on Option 2 and 3 are also offered Openzone Vouchers as part of their package and if they have issues using these vouchers would post questions on the board.

If you are a Openzone partner there is a service managed area through the Openzone site and you will have an Openzone account number. All enquiries, faults etc would be directed to Openzone via their support and site as the service is managed by them.

I'm sorry we couldn't help with this but the Openzone Partner Site and contacts will be able to trace your Openzone account and assist further.

Kind Regards

Fiona

BT Business Forum Moderator

Like this post, or any others? Please click on the star image on the left hand side if you do.
If you ask a question by putting up the first post in a thread and a follow-up post answers your question correctly, please let other Forum members know which post contains the correct answer by clicking on the 'Accept as Solution' button on the right hand side of the post.

Seraphsailor
Grand Master

Fiona;

many thanks

going to see the marina staff right now with the info and links you have provided.

Will advise soonest

Steve

Seraphsailor
Grand Master

Hi Fiona,

I know about BT hubs/routers and their being able to deliver a wifi service (cafes, etc). I showed a friend how her home hub was delivering an Openzone service and she knew nothin about it. Anyway back to the marina - it is not a plug and play hotspot provided and the marina, so they tell me,  is not an official Openzone Partner.

The wifi service was originally supplied by Square Mile; who were subsequently sacked. BT then came in; used the established SM wifi antenna and cabling, etc, connected up BT routers; made the necessary changes to the telephone line to provide an OZ service and that was it. As I've said previously the whole management and service delivery is via BT; all the marina is doing is hosting the router equipment in their office.

From what I am told no formal agreements (or knowledge) about partnering and when I showed the marina staff the partner portal they knew nothing about it and surprised. Maybe time to put it on a formal footing!!! - it would help!

Fiona
Grand Guru

Hi

I couldn't agree more, if they have some formal agreement it would mean in future there would be a definate route for enquiries or faults. Even if some note is made as to what the system is, who owns it and manages it (account numbers, telephone numbers etc) this would certainly help to prevent any confusion in the future and stop you being passed from department to department which in turn would reduce any downtime.

If you get any information from BT faults or Openzone about the account i can certainly try and help find out what the setup is etc.

I really hope you get on ok

Kind Regards

Fiona

BT Business Forum Moderator

Like this post, or any others? Please click on the star image on the left hand side if you do.
If you ask a question by putting up the first post in a thread and a follow-up post answers your question correctly, please let other Forum members know which post contains the correct answer by clicking on the 'Accept as Solution' button on the right hand side of the post.

Seraphsailor
Grand Master

Hi Fiona,

well I'm told it's now with [name removed by moderators, contravenes forum guidelines] in Exeter, as an Openzone Manager, to approve further action. Regardless of what is coming to light it is a sad reflection on BT to react (or not react in this instance) to a situation where various parties are telling BT "your Openzone doesn't work  - and this is what the issue is"; and then BT promising action by a certain time and then renaging on that promise.

Seraphsailor
Grand Master

Openzone 2nd Line have emailed me and the marina saying that the Openzone contract with the marina is out of date and so they will not fix their hotspot. By contract I understand that no money passes from BT to the marina; it's just an agreement between BT and the marina that they will host the associated equipment - so it's only BT who will be losing a bit of revenue.

Marina say that their "agreement" with BT for Service renewal and hosting provision is due for discussion in early October. - and also:

2 calls to me from Executive Level Complaints (ELC) from different people over 2 days. The first thing both of them said to me was that they could not find any contractual information within BT with regard to Openzone and the marina. The second caller from ELC said as there was no contract or as I could not provide any reference information that she could not talk to me - and hung up!!!