cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 'up to 20 mbs broadband' has slowly deteriorated to half speed

reab
Power User

Seems that the forum doesn't work correctly with Explorer 9 so posted text in reply below using Firefox 4

~
Favourite phrases:
Like your words, one day you may have to eat them!

The 50-50-90 rule - anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right theres a 90% probability you'll get it wrong!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!
34 REPLIES 34

MHC
Guru

@JohnE wrote:

The "Rate Cap" figures reported by reab's router diagnostics appears to be 24Mbps which is correct for the ADSL2+ service.

No,   look back to the post which gives his CURRENT 8xxx cap and not the latest post which refers back to a post of quite a while back.

JohnE
Guru

Yes, it looks like he's on a "capped" 8Mbps service, on a line capable of 24Mbps.  In these cases, what happens is an exchange will have all of it's lines upgraded to ADSL2+ but users will be "capped" at the "old" service rates until they renew their contract.

MHC
Guru

If he is on a capped service how can you explain that he was getting a 20Mbps servie which gradually degraded?

reab
Power User

As you can guess I did renew my contract (24months worth) after the bulk upgrade and eventually I did get a 12mbs service which I would have accepted as best in the circumstances untill it went downhill after 5-6months and I'm back at my capped rate before I upgraded and as I said with no change in my working practice.

Can I get a 'reset' of my profile/line/firmware or something as was hinted previously - maybe the profile is stuck!

Help!

~
Favourite phrases:

The 50-50-90 rule - anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right theres a 90% probability you'll get it wrong!

markp
Grand Guru

Hi reab,

If you have an open fault with our helpdesk you can ask to have the lines profile reset, which puts the line back into its initial 10 day stabilistation period.  Once a reset has been done you would need to wait the 10 days before they would be able to test it again.

To get a fault raise contact our helpdesk on these contact options.

Regards

Markp

Moved:

JohnE
Guru

I am sorry, this post has been removed as it involves a Residential broadband account.

Moved:

JohnE
Guru

I am sorry, this post has been removed as it involves a Residential broadband account.

MHC
Guru

@BenLSage wrote:

was getting 8mb for last 2 years, now the line has suddenly become unstable and capped

ridiculous

60kbps - that is not capped but almost certainly a fault

JohnE
Guru

You are quite correct, MHC.  It's also a Residential broadband line.  I have directed the user to the correct forum and suggested that he needs to contact the helpdesk

reab
Power User

Is anybody actually reading this correctly, if this applies to my posts then I'll simply re-state I have a residential line with business broadband!

I'm talking to bt at this moment - very hard going!

~
Favourite phrases: