cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP Address setup on BT SmartHub

tseptsem

I've recently switched from BT residential to BT Business in order to have a static IP address so that I can connect to a work server.

I prefer to use my BT SmartHub rather than use the BT Business router.

How do I setup the BT SmartHub to setup a static IP address that I have been provided using my work laptop ?

I want to know what I need to configure in the BT SmartHub settings.

I'd also like to know what values I need to set the IPV4 properties on my network connection:

Default gateway - what value ?

(I know what to assign to IP Address and Subnet mask - I was given these on my letter)

Do I set any DNS Server addresses and if so where do I get the values?

Regards, Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

markp
Grand Guru

Hi there tseptsem

As the smart hub is only for home users it has no functionalty for using a range of static IP's, if you only jave a single static IP, as long as you configure it to use your business broadband username and password we auto assign the single static IP to the router when it logs in.  You would then be able to setup port forwarding from the smart hub to the computer in question if they need  to access your computer externaly using the static IP.

Markp

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

markp
Grand Guru

Hi there tseptsem

As the smart hub is only for home users it has no functionalty for using a range of static IP's, if you only jave a single static IP, as long as you configure it to use your business broadband username and password we auto assign the single static IP to the router when it logs in.  You would then be able to setup port forwarding from the smart hub to the computer in question if they need  to access your computer externaly using the static IP.

Markp

tseptsem

Hi markp

Thank you for your prompt response.

Please can you tell me how I can configure my BT SmartHub to use my new business broadband username/password.

Also, I would be grateful if you could detail the port forwarding setup instructions.

Regards, Peter

markp
Grand Guru

Hi tseptsem

as it is not a business router it is not one we are trained in using/configuring. If the interface is similar to the business one, once you login to the advanced section of the routers settings on 192.168.1.254, you would go to broadband and click on disconnect, this will allow you to change the usernamne and password the router is loggig in with.

With port forwarding I would gues it is similar to the business hub, once in the advanced settings click on firewall/port forwarding, you should be able to create a new/manage rule where you can specify the port  numbers needed, you would get them from your works IT team, then you would just assign that rule to the computers IP/MAC address.

Markp

tseptsem

Thanks markp.

I disconnected from the bthomehub username, connected using my new BT business network id, re-booted the BT SmartHub and the static ip address was assigned just like that! No need for port forwarding and more straightforward than I thought!

This thread is closed.

Regards,