cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static ip for wireless device

islac

Hi,

I would like to configure one of my wireless devices on my 2701 router to use a static IP address.  I don't need the address to be visible to the outside world, just to set the device (an internet radio) to alway use the same IP  when it connects to the router.  The problem is that we have lots of wireless devices which connect to the router, and are continually getting IP address conflicts when devices attempt to connect.

A couple of years ago, I was able to do this without a problem on my old 2700 router.

I can't work out whether the £5 per month charge for a static ip address is now necessary for internal addresses, as well as externally visible ones?

If there is a way to do this without the monthly charge, can someone advise me if my assumption for the following settings which my device (an internet radio) is asking for are correct

IP address: 192.168.1.xxx

Network mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway adress: 192.168.1.254

Primary DNS: ??

Secondary DNS: ??

Alternatively, any tips on how to minimise this problem of conflicting IP addresses for wireless devices?

Many thanks,

Isla

27 REPLIES 27

Engineer

Whiller123

Hi Rob I have an old XP computer on my network that I use as a print serverI can't assign a static address either from the hub.

I know this is a Windows question but how do I assign from the machine I used to know but have forgotton

Blonde moment

whiller123
Super User

@Engineer

Microsoft support eh?

Pretty basic

network connections/properties of your connection/internet protocol tcp/ip /properties

from there it is straight forward

Give it a high end address from your range

If it wants DNS

Rob

whiller123
Super User

@islac

Regarding the settings for your internet radio:

I have 2701's & 2700's that I use

My 2701's all have 192.168.2.1/254 address range

Whilst my 2700's   192.168.1.1/254 address range

so I would assume that the settings you posted are incorrect

Rob

Engineer

whiller123

Rob many thanks I am so thick! as soon as I got in there it all came back to me. I can't believe I forgot how to use XP already.

It let me leave the Dns set to automatic so it is getting the Bt  Dns setting from the router

Thanks again

islac

Thanks for all the various suggestions!

Last night I tried the "clear list" option, remembering that this had worked for similar problems in the past.

As soon as I had cleared the list I was able to save fixed IP addresses against specific devices, rather than it reverting to "private from pool" all the time.   This worked even without rebooting the router, although it is a bit of a hassle with reconfiguring content screening.

I have a fairly complex set of devices, including PC's & laptops, an internet radio, xbox, several phones and a WN3000 range extender (not all wireless at the same time, connecting and disconnecting throughout the day).

The PC's & laptops are fine, but some of the other devices are frequently "unable to get an IP address" from the router, which is only resolved by rebooting the router.  We suspect the WN3000 is a major culprit in the issue, but sometimes the problems come even when the WN3000 is not switched on.

The internet radio (an old Logik IR100) is the biggest pain.  The radio itself drops the signal from time to time - and has then been failing to reconnect, due to not getting an IP address properly.  Now that I have been able to set all the devices we have connected regularly using fixed IP, I am hoping this problem will be lessened.  Just need to wait and see though.

Thanks again

Isla

whiller123
Super User

@Engineer

No worries easy to forget I still have to support Windows 3.1 & Mac OS6 (1988) drives me nuts

Rob

islac

@whiller123

My 2701 is definitely using 192.168.1.1/254

However, still can't get the Logik IR100 to recognise the fixed IP settings I am putting into it (have managed to do this in the past, but think the firmware has been updated since then).  Problem probably lies with the radio though, rather than the router.   Being able to set a fixed IP on the router is the 2nd best option.

whiller123
Super User

@islac

Thanks for the info I will try that as I have that problem all the time

Many thanks

Rob

whiller123
Super User

@islac

Hi

I don't know anything about your radio but does it have the option to switch from static to DHCP & vice versa?

Rob

MHC
Guru

There is one supplier that I work with who is still installing systems and building spares that use Win 3.11 !